Saturday 25 February 2017

Saturday.



Rather a nice bench end in Isleham Church. I think  he's meant to be a feerocious lion, but he looks as if he's rather enjoying life.

We have spent most of this last week in an apartment in an old building just off the quay in Wells-next -the- Sea on the Norfolk coast. The apartment was lent to us for the week by our good friends Jon and Jo. The weather has been bright, mild, and and sunny most of the time. Not a bit like  the usual February weather in Norfolk (I'm a Norfolk man by birth so I can be rude about my native county).  We'd both rather forgotten what a lovely little town Wells is. Taken loads of photies, but having problems developing them. Will put  them up when I can persuade them to look pretty on screen.

Yesterday morning  drove from Wells down to middle of wildest Suffolk. There'd been a storm on Thursday night, so there were lots of trees down. I don't believe in giving storms names. It brings out the worst in them and they chuck their weight about.  Stopped off about  fifteen miles from home and had lunch with friends of ours, Jill and Keith. Also present were our  mutual friends, Angela and Leigh. Very pleasant meal and relaxed  couple of hours generally. A lovely ending to a good week off.
Jill commissioned me (posh way of putting  it) to make a fire steel to fit  a tinder box she's just  sold, so must stop  waffling and get on  with it.

Will try and write a bit more a bit  later in the  week.
Regards to all,  Mike and Ann.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

There used to be an excellent fish and chip shop on the quay at Wells, proper 'chunk' of cod rather than the thin fillets you get elsewhere. Do they still have the miniture train which transports people down to the beach?

Always had a soft spot for Blakeney myself, although it has been many years since I have visited.

Thought you were supposed to be retired ;-) xxx

Mike said...

Hello Mag. Yes the chip shop on the quay is still there, as is the 'Crab Shop' just around the corner. There is a very narrow gauge railway from the Quay to the beach - didn't see any trains, though. I do remember seeing a tractor and trailer (when I was a boy) which ran the lifeboat down to the sea when necessary.

Yes, I always liked Blakeney, and we spent a few days some few years ago at the Blakeney Hotel on a 'special offer midweek for the elderly' - we qualified for it even then - 'bout ten years ago I should think. We walked from the quay ,where we were staying out to the Church Area a couple of times. There were a great many old (that is - late Georgian) buildings with lovely early shop windows - now invariably domestic housing. I think that it must have been a much busier town two hundred years ago than it is now.

Crowbard said...

I went to Blakeney once, but I didn't see the point ~ mainly because I needed specs.

Crowbard said...

I wonder if the pew-end is a reference to Daniel Ch.4 v.33?
The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
I didn't know King Nebuchadnezzar personally but I think it's a better likeness of him than of a lion, Mike.