Monday 10 August 2015

Monday.


First of all, my apologies for not having blogged for over a week.  No excuses, except that I have been thoroughly busy during that time. However, I have found time to take the odd photie, so here are one or two of them. I know I've often shown the more usual views of our ancient Guildhall, whose origins are lost in the mists of iniquity, but here is a view taken of the back of the guildhall, with its cobbled courtyard/carpark.


Since the Luncheon Club was started, to give the 'old dears' of our town, a very reasonably priced monthly lunch, Ann has worked hard for it, and indeed, run it for the last few years.  However, last March, having achieved her harumpety-fifth birthday, Ann decided to retire. The committee, having decided that we must both now have achieved the status of 'old dears',  invited us to attend the future lunches as deserving participants, which we have done since then.  I took the above photo last Friday; It shows, on the right our friend Hilary, who has just had surgery on her right eye, and is feeling it a bit.  On her right is Gwen, who at ninety nine, is till enjoying- and is full of - life.


Last Friday friends John and Milly had supper with us, and gave Ann the above pot plant. It is very pretty, but I'm afraid I've forgotten its name. I'm sure one (or more) of you will know, and remind me.

Must stop and do some work now. Last Wednesday, at Long Melford, I purchased a Black Forest wall clock, which I've repaired, and it's now keeping decent time.  At the moment I'm in the middle of a French flintlock pistol - it's now in good working order, but still needs a little cosmetic work and a good clean.

Will try and be more conscientous(not sure of the spelling of that last word) - so will call it better behaved blog-wise.
Regards to all, Mike.

8 comments:

Rog said...

My late Mother always insisted on referring to "the oldies". I think it's a good habit to keep up!

Crowbard said...

I believe your plant is a Gloxinia, a genus of three species of tropical rhizomatous herbs in the flowering plant family Gesneriaceae. (Although in my present muddled state I started looking up Xenobia! (Who turned out to be and ancient Assyrian queen who gave the Romans what-for in the 2nd century AD and I'd got her name wrong too, she was Zenobia bat-Zabbai. Old Geoff Chaucer mentions her in 'The Monk's tale'.)

Z said...

Gloxinia?

Paul said...

I'm gob smacked at the idea that a gentleman of your breeding and obvious education would mis-use the word "iniquity". Did you perhaps mean " antiquity " or is there something about the Guildhall that would earn it the other insalubrious description.

Crowbard said...

Ah Rog, where have all the old characters gone?
Golly, I suppose we're them now.

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. I think your mother chose her word (oldies) well. Did she, at any stage, realise that the word could now be applied to herself? It came as a bit of a shock to me to become (last year) a Great Grandfather, and this year to become the recipient of the 'old dears' monthly lunch. As my senior daughter said once, when I was congratulating her on becoming forty - "I suppose, Father, you'll now have to admit the approach of incipient middle age yourself?"
Ah -Well.

Unknown said...

Thank you Zoe and Crowbard. The plant is, of course, Gloxinia. Couldn't remember the name though. Thanks again - Mike.

Unknown said...

Hello Paul. I was using a worn out old joke at the expense of our Guild Hall. Next time I'm passing the Guild Hall, I will stop and apologise to it- for my lack of respect for seniority.