Tuesday 16 September 2014

Tuesday.

My apologies for delay in blogging. Been hoping to be able to put photos up, but computer won't wear it at any price, so will have to be a verbal only (unillustrated) entry. Last Saturday drove over to Cambridge, calling at Railway Station to pick up Granddaughter Laura, then on to the River Cam, where a couple of punts were waiting for us (eighteen or so family). Ann and I didn't go on the river this year, as we'd agreed to take over the care of Great Grandaughter Elsa, while the family explored the river. Once they were embarked and under way we pushed Elsa (in the pushchair provided) to visit a friend of ours who keeps an antique shop opposite the FitzWilliam Museum main entrance. David spotted me and the pushchair on the pavement (Ann had paused to do a little necessary shopping) and popped out of his shop doorway to greet me and to admire the baby (he's a bit soppy about tiny babes, as am I) and asked who this new grandchild (?) was. "This is my Great Granddaughter" I told him. He sniggered and said something about even I wasn't old enough for great grandparent hood surely? So then I formally introduced him to Elsa and vice versa, so he had to believe me.  Ann arrived shortly afterwards and was duly congratulated by David. I bought one or two nice early bits of metal ware from him, and David said he was very pleased to see us as he wanted my opinion and assistance on a long case clock he's just bought. Would I step round to his house (he lives nearby) he asked? The shop was busy and he didn't really want to close it, so Ann (bless her) volunteered to mind the shop and his dog as well as Elsa whilst David and I nipped round to look at his clock. I was able to give it a good report, and eventually agreed to overhaul it for him. Then back to his shop, where Ann was busy enough to be glad of our return. Back to river just in time to greet the two boatloads of  family just arriving, and round to the Garden House Hotel for tea. A lovely afternoon. Took lots of photos, and a fat lot of good that'll do my readers, as I'm afraid you're all stuck with a written blog only, until I can persuade the thing back to its duties.

          Good night all.

8 comments:

Rog said...

You paint pictures with words Mike - sounds like a great outing

Unknown said...

Thank you Rog. That's reassuring.

Pat said...

Most people would find baby watching totally absorbing but special folk can combine it with shop keeping and clock assessing:)

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat. You're right, she is absorbing, but I did want to show her off to my old friend David, who likes babies, and that, quite naturally, led on to shop minding and clock assessing, and anyway, it's good to keep busy!

Nea said...

Is It possible you are trying to upload photos that are too big?

Unknown said...

Don't think so, Nea. I'll 'phone you.
P.s. Thanks for 'phoning me- very timely. I think we may have it sorted. I'll try the new card reader. Many thanks.

Unknown said...

See blog entry for Monday 22nd September.

Unknown said...

P.S. With PICTURES!