Sunday 23 June 2013

Sunday.


This weekend an exhibition is being held in Saint Mary's Church, of local skills, crafts, hobbies and interests. After service this morning we had a ploughman's lunch in church with Hilary, John and Maud. Ann then pushed off to help friend Brenda with some plaiting (well, I'm sure that's what she said. I  may be told more later) and I stayed on and wandered round the exhibition taking photos. The above one is of a chap who collects and restores ancient motor cycles.


The above snap is of the produce of a couple of local lacemaking ladies.


Above snap is of a local man who, with his son, has made a lifetime's habit of collecting advertising ephemera. It now fills their home, so they were probably glad to take a double stall in church, and have a bit more space at home this weekend.


Model railway layout. Please do not worry, Sir Bruin. Not, in my view, a patch on Bearstone on the Wold.


Above, friend Roger, our local historian, who writes books on local history.  His pet subject is the history of bricks.


 Mike's stall (another Mike- not me) writes copper plate script (there's a name for it) and collects writing instruments.


 Philip's stall; he collects stamps and Wisdens.


Friend Ruth, above, studied at the Royal School of Needlework, and continues to produce (professionally) works of art like those produced below. Her stall was easily my favourite. She seems to me to have the  rare ability to get outside her own period, into another one, and produce the work of that period (if that makes sense- but I hope you will know what I mean).





Below is a photo of John, who was until recently, one of our Churchwardens. He is a very keen gardener, and has also recently taken up researching his family history, which he was showing on the screen in front of him.


I really don't have time or space to give anywhere near a full picture of the exhibition. My apologies to the jewellery makers, felters, painters, card makers, etc; and perhaps especially to the local man who makes radio controlled paddle steamers, of perhaps three feet long or so. We live in a small market town in South Suffolk, and the skills and crafts of my fellow townspeople I found quite incredible (and perhaps rather reassuring in an age of mass preoduction).
As I was leaving, a group of about twenty teenage usherettes .........? NO!................Majorettes - were strutting their stuff enthusiastically in a cleared area of the nave to POUNDING  pop music.  Our Dean, who seemed to approve of this, murmured to me as I passed him "I wonder if we could book them for a Sung Eucharist?"
I think he was trying to shock me...........

15 comments:

Z said...

I suspect he was - all the same, bet you didn't need a hearing aid!

Unknown said...

No, I got it quite clearly; but I do find the sight of girls of that age (I said they were in their teens, but in fact I would think they were aged from about ten to fifteen), dressed in clothes that were openly provocative (I'm trying to word this carefully), and dancing in a rather similar manner, to be rather distasteful.
Don't want to be a fuddy-duddy, but it made me cringe. They were children!

Unknown said...

P.s. Sorry if I put that a bit strongly, Zoe. I would value your opinion on it, though.

Maggie said...

I absolutely agree with you brother dear, and I am certainly not a prude!

Z said...

It's a narrow line, isn't it? Sounds as if it was crossed. I think my reaction would be the same as yours, if they were that young.

Unknown said...

Thank you Maggie. Thank you Zoe.

Crowbard said...

Is Calligraphy the word you sought for he of the fine Copper-Plate script? (from Greek κάλλος kallos "beauty" + γραφή graphẽ "writing")
Sounds like a thoroughly interesting exhibition, heart-warming to know of so many characters of interest. I thought it was just your blog which drew them, but perhaps it is something in the Suffolk air?
Can't say I object to precocious youngsters being precocious and loud and controversial. They're only doing it to establish themselves with their social peers; not to provoke or profane the ancient and established. We are not a real part of their world I think. Our part is to discretely shepherd away the perverts and pimps while they discover (uncover)themselves and their age-group.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard.
Calligraphy- thank you, that's the word I was trying to remember.

I suppose characters and oddities are fairly evenly spread over the national acreage (although we certainly seem to have quite our fair share here (I'm glad to say). Being a thoroughly normal middle-of-the-road type meself, I do enjoy the occasional eccentric.

Nothing wrong with precocity, although it often has to be paid for at a later stage; but I do feel we have a duty to ensure that our children are allowed to enjoy their childhood.

Sir Bruin said...

I'll not get into the majorette debate, other than to say that there is a time and a place for everything.
The motorcycle in the first picture has the look of a Scott Flying Squirrel (No, I didn't make it up). I believe the tanks were painted different colours depending on whether the bike was intended for road or race use.
Thank you for your kind comments about Bearston le Wold. Said town is open to discerning visitors, should you be in the vicinity.

Unknown said...

Hello Sir B. Yes, I think you're right. The way it was described to me it sounded like a predecessor of the water cooled Velocette 'Noddy Bike' of the late fifties.

The bike to the right of the picture is an A.J.S. Around 1927, I think the bloke said.

Crowbard said...

Hello Sir Bruin,
you definitely gave my memory a push in the right direction. The Flying Squirrel was produced from 1928, following the Super Squirrel of 1926. But the Motorbike exhibited appears to be Mr. Alfred Scott's original post-WWI 1922 Squirrel readily distinguished by its canister shaped fuel tank.

In 1922 Scott Squirrels took third, fourth, and ninth places in the Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy) race, winning the trophy for the manufacturer of the best motorcycle in competition.

Scott Squirrel motorcycles were manufacturered by Scott Engineering Co. Ltd., Shipley, Yorkshire (I understand Jowett [famed for their Javelin saloon car and Jupiter sports cars] built his original pre-war models)
Type: Racing
Year: 1922
Engine: Scott two-cylinder, two-stroke, rotating-valve distribution. Displacement 488.7 cc. (70 mm. x 63.5 mm.)
Cooling: Water circulated thermo-dynamically (no pump)
Transmission: Two-speed
Power: 5,000 r.p.m.
Maximum speed: About 85 m.p.h. Chassis: Open, tubular.
Front, elastic
suspension.
Brakes: Front and rear, expansion

Sir Bruin said...

Greetings Crowbard. I do like old bikes. Don't have the mechanical knowledge to make owning one a reality though. I have always wanted a Vincent Black Shadow. Given that they change hands for arounf £35000 these days, that will have to remain a (exhaust) pipe dream. I do admire the bikers of days gone by. 85 mph on that Squirrel would be interesting in a straight line, never mind around the mountain course of the TT. Skinny tyres, no brakes. Brave men. I am currently riding a new Bonneville. I hear purists gasp, but it handles and stops well and does not drip oil on my garage floor.

Crowbard said...

I was up close and personal with a Vincent Black-Knight once, couldn't afford it then. Never had a Triumph but always admired them. I envy you your pristine garage floor Sir Bruin, my AJS 20-Twin left oil-slicks everywhere. I think my favourite old bike was my 1952 Douglas Mk. V, a 350cc. horizontally opposed twin. I did have a BSA A10, 650cc single cylinder of about 1950 vintage with a side-car, locally known as 'The Hand-Grenade' due to its tendency to backfire whilst kick-starting if you advanced the timing injudiciously. My last bike was a brand new Ducati 350 single cylinder with a drive-shaft and desmodronic valves around the early 1970s. Often thought about getting another bike but I'm too lazy and comfortable with my car now! Any-way the joy went out of biking when helmets (sensibly) became compulsory. Watch out for motorists with white sticks!

Pat said...

I love the lace- making.

Unknown said...

Yes, it's lovely work (Ann's tried it once or twice). The top right hand lace flower in the picture is made of SILVER wire. The lady who made it said it was the first one she'd made in silver, and swears it will be the last one, too!!!!! (it was, she said, heavy work !)