Sunday 12 May 2013

Sunday.



These photos record a nice, quiet Sunday with the Horners. The above two  show us relaxing, having found we've got ten minutes to spare before setting off for morning service (where Ann was Deaconing). Home about one in the afternoon, lunch, a quick zizz, into workshop scruff, then down to workshop to finish off a couple of odd jobs.
The weather this last week/ten days has been ideal - mainly bright sunshine during the day, and the occasional heavy shower at night, all of which suits the garden nicely, as it does me. However, when Ann called me up for a cuppa at about five o'clock, I found it was dull, rainy, and cold. So I lit the fire, and we relaxed over tea, lemon drizzle cake (Ann's), and finished off (with some help -swapped clues- on telephone- from up the road neighbour, Sheila) yesterday's Telegraph prize crossword.



Drawing room fire - Cedric enjoying this rare fireside treat (bottom right corner of photo).


 Now back in undercroft workshop to do a bit more work.

10 comments:

Rog said...

An evening fire in May is a luxury! Cool evenings are better than the steaming 30 degrees of mid August.

I'm pleased to see your sartorial standards have not slipped a single jot.

Unknown said...

You are right Rog, it is a luxury - an enjoyable one!
Ref sartorial standards; it's as well you can't see me now. In workshop in scruffy cords, old cardi, and frayed cravat! You would lose all respect for me.

Crowbard said...

Cedric is looking very well Mike despite his age; he's a credit to your hospitality. Is he of the Lares et Penates race, or from the more honest and rustic society of neolithic doorstops?

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. He is Dark Ages celtic. A geneus cucculate, and definitely a household god (Lares et Penates). As a Sotheby's bloke once told me "He is over a thousand years old, but probably less than two thousand years old". He has lived in one or another of our fire places for nearly thirty years now - not long in his terms.

Unknown said...

P.S. As a rather fundamentalist Christian lady of our aquaintance said in to me in horror "You keep a heathen god in your hearth?" To which I replied "We keep a lump of carved granite in our hearth."

Crowbard said...

Amazing mind set the 'fundamentalists' have, Mike. Their chosen God says 'you shall have no other God before me' so they take the jottings of a peculiar people as gospel and believe that anything called a god actually is one! I much admire the pragmatism of your response. But since Cedric is clearly providing domestic protection with his 'Lares' DNA and keeping penury at bay with his 'penates' powers, perhaps the lady was not entirely misprised of his deity.

Unknown said...

Mm...yes. But I do have to admire her faith.

Crowbard said...

Faith is a useful fall-back position when there is no factual evidence... Trust me, I sell the finest invisible snake-oil available! (which Pope said that?)
I too admire simple faith, Mike; it is the source of much of humanity's comfort, solace and survival. I just believe in a bigger god than the vengeful, judgemental, racist god of the bible. The lesser gods too are God's beloved creations and contribute to the score and choreography of the ongoing eternal creation, as do all we linked and individual bundles of thoughts within the All-Mind.

Unknown said...

s I said once before :- Pantheist!

Crowbard said...

More of a Theo-panist than a Pan-theist I think Mike, everything exists in & as God rather than gods are in everything... although I occasionally find myself warming to the Kathar 'heresy'