Monday 14 January 2013

Monday.


Today has been a cold, raw, and eventually snowy day. We drove across to Ely for a 'sibling lunch' with Ann's brothers and wives at the Fire Engine House. To go back to the subject of this blog, in contrast to today's weather, last Wednesday was a lovely, cold, but bright and sunny day, and after lunch Ann suggested, that as I'd come to a 'natural break' in the job I was doing in the workshop, how about driving over to Dedham (just over the border in Essex), pottering round, taking photoes, and eventually having a cuppa, in one of the many teahouses there.  We both thought this would be a good idea on a sunny January day, as in spring, summer and autumn, the whole of the Dedham Vale is chocker (full Lori) with tourists. Now I don't  begrudge 'furriners' their look at our lovely countryside, but in fact, it was really nice to have 'Constable's Country' to ourselves for an afternoon. The top house pictured has a lovely facade, which is dated 1735, but which I should think was added to a rather earlier building at that date (look along the side of the house, and I think you'll see what I mean).


 The above is a very handsome later Georgian house of about 1750, I should think.


Above is a row of medieval/Tudor buildings.


More of the same, with the Church in the background, and below, in a side lane, is a fine timber framed building, probably dating from the 1400s.   We took a good many more photos, but I think they'll come in handy to illustrate another 'rainy day' blog.

Goodnight All.


4 comments:

Z said...

I remember visiting Wingfield Hall some years ago, I went to a concert there with Jeanne Wayre (of Otter Trust fame). It had a marvellous, yet peculiarly squashed, Georgian facade; understandable when you went inside and found a mediaeval manor house.

http://www.touruk.co.uk/houses/housesuff_wing.htm

Unknown said...

Yes. You've described the first illustration very well - a squashed Georgian facade. It has a slightly 'cut to size then nailed onto' the original building look to it.

Lori Skoog said...

"Chocker"...my word of the day. Boo to horse meat.

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Do not let either of your horses see my Thursday posting - the horsemeat business is mentioned, and it might hurt their feelings.