Wednesday 7 November 2012

Wednesday.


Went to the monthly antique fair at Long Melford today. For once in a way we didn't buy anything for stock there, but Ann found, and bought, a patchwork quilt from the stall of a friend of ours, who has a shop in Southwold.   I didn't really get a chance to look at it until we got home. We then spread it out on the floor of the sitting room, where I took the above photograph of it. The colours are quite.... muted, I suppose the right word is. Subtle anyway. Ann says she doesn't think it's antique, but that it was probably made quite a while ago using  a sewing machine, although the quilting at the back was hand sewn. She also thinks that it's not been much used, if at all. It's obvious that a great deal of thought and work has gone  into it. Ann says she's going to put it on the bed in the front spare bedroom. We both think it will look well in there.

Goodnight All.

9 comments:

Nea said...

A beautiful patchwork, I can imagine it looks very well in that room, but don't throw out the old cover, I liked that too.

Speaking of patches here's a question to keep the grey matter ticking over, a little warm up to Saturday's crossword:

Who was originally meant by "a king of shreds and patches"?

<3 pooh :)

Unknown said...

I think you very slightly misquote, daughter. "A thing of shreds and patches" is how the wandering minstrel (Nanki Poo) from the Mikado describes himself. Nanki Poo, is, of course, in reality the son of the Mikado, disguised as a wandering minstrel, so your "a king of shreds and patches" is a very natural near miss.

Unknown said...

P.s. Just in case you suspect that the old man is making it up as he goes along, I very sneakily looked it up before replying to your conundrum; although of course I recognised the quote, but I usually slightly doubt my memory as to the details.

Nea said...

You are of course right dear Pappa, as usual, but please note I wrote "originally". G&S misquoted, but who did they misquote and who was meant?

<3
Narki Pooh ;)

Unknown said...

My apologies Ruth. I should have read your comment more carefully - it's clear enough. The quote is from Hamlet, Act 3, Scene four, and is Hamlet speaking to his mother, Queen Gertrude of Denmark, and speaking of, ( think) his uncle the present King (Claudius ?)

I like your present signature - Narki Pooh. I am sorry I have narked you, or is that just a very clever (and I'm sure intentional) 'Typo' for Nanki Poo ?

Nea said...

King Claudius? Is that your final answer?




It is, of course, correct me thinks.

How's the crossword coming along?

<3
Manki Pooh

Unknown said...

Thank you Ruth. There's a lot to be said for Google!!!!

Crossword - not so good this week. Filled in half a dozen or so of the answers. Trouble is, last week's was a doddle. Different setter this week.Still - early days.
Good to hear from you - love to all.

Unknown said...

P.s. Sunday 7.30 p.m. N.E.A. - Just finished the crossword, having swapped a couple of clues (by 'phone) with Sheila Up-the-Road.

Crowbard said...

Dearest Pooh,
I can just about see that on very rare occasions Narki Pooh might almost edge towards the apposite, but never in my wildest imaginings (and you'd have to have been inside my head to grasp the magnitude of wild horrors which therein lie) could I conceive of a less applicable adjective than Manki for such an elegant and urbanely acoutred, fashionable young gel-about-town as your own sweet Poohness.
Manki Pooh? Never!
G-U-C