Tuesday 13 November 2012

Tuesday 2.




The above are photographs of the lantern clock I have been working on (well - on and off) for the last week or so. It was made, as you can see, by Richard Weller of Eastborn (sic.) who lived from 1693 to 1765. It is a fine country clock of its period (it was built around 1730), having an hour hand only (four divisions between the hours on the chapter ring) and now appears to be going happily, although I must admit it presented me with a problem that I'd not come across before -well not to that extent, anyway. The spikes in the two pulleys (both going train and striking train) had rusted and in three cases had sheered off completely. Of the twelve spikes I have had to replace six, plus do various other odd jobs to avoid further potential problems. All very time consuming but very satisfying. I really do think that English lantern clocks are my favourite type of clock.
Good night All.

6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I can see why you love this particular clock. It is stunning. I also like the quilt Ann picked up. The photos of the countryside with all the fall colors look like they belong in a book. Gary and I have both had that terrible cold too. Taking a long time to get rid of it. Hope you are feeling better. The past few nights have been in the 20s here with lots of frost in the morning.

Crowbard said...

English lantern clocks are noble devices (a bit like the family crest).
At least you didn't need assistance to repair this one as it is single handed...

Pat said...

It is most attractive. Shall you be sorry to lose it?

Unknown said...

Hello Lori. Quite agree, the cold seems to have tgaken a while to shake off, but we now seem to be free of it, thank you. Trust you both are free of it. The last few days have started white and frosty, then reasonable sunny - healthy weather!.

Unknown said...

Oh tee hee Crowbard! Yes, I did it single handed. That one is worthy of Rog at his best. Or worst !!!

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. The answer's yes. Whenever I've had a clock here for a few days it always seems to leave an empty space on the wall. On the other hand it lives up in Southwold, so with luck I shall see it occasionally. That's made me wonder if its location is part of the problem of rust forming on the ironwork ? Sea air possibly ??? Although I hope I've killed the rust. We'll see.