Saturday 10 November 2012

Saturday.


Had the above clock brought to us earlier in the week by an old acquaintance. The clock was very vaguely familiar, too.
  "It's been playing up a bit this last week or two" says the owner, "So I thought I'd let you have a look at it and see what can be done, as I bought it from you."
"Did you? When was that?"
"Oh, thirty some odd years ago, and it's not keeping quite as good time this last week or so as it used."
"Well, it's  out of  its guarantee by now. Still, I'll gladly have a look at it and see what can be done."
 Richard was perfectly happy with this and left it with me to 'see what can be done to improve matters.'




 Yesterday we motored over to friends Margaret and John, partly to deliver an antique pistol of John's that I've been tidying up, and partly to have lunch with them. Took the above photo on our way to them. They are settling well into their new home, a modern bungalow in a large garden in the depths of Suffolk. They love it there and told us how lovely and quiet it is. Prior to the move they lived for many years in a medieval house on the main street of a Suffolk Market town, so I imagine that life is a good deal quieter in the new home. Not that I'd describe Lavenham, where they used to live, as a roaring metropolis!
After an excellent lunch we relaxed in their large sitting room, and caught up on their family news for an hour or so. Was very impressed with the efficiency of a wood burning stove they've just installed.
Left them at about half past three, and took the below photos of Suffolk houses on our way home. The machine seems to have lost one or two of them, still that means I've a photo or so in reserve for my next blog entry (if I can find them).



   

Today has been  my usual Saturday - a friend of ours, Audrey, designed the lay out of our small garden for us some six years ago, and finally came to have a look at it and drink coffee with us this morning. She was pleased  to see the garden. I think it is beginning to look as she had envisaged it when she designed it for us. I sort of understand her delay. It probably takes at least six years for a garden to start looking as you intended.
Played scrabble this afternoon with the usual foursome at scrabble club. Won one game, and Phylis (who was really in mid-season form) won the other three games. Been a nice relaxing day.
Goodnight All.

2 comments:

Pat said...

all thAt practice - no wonder you always win:)

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. I don't ALWAYS win - you know that!