Friday 5 October 2012

Friday.


About ten days ago I recorded going to London to view Christie's Arms and Armour Auction. Yesterday we motored over to Manningtree Railway Station to buy a day return ticket to Liverpool Street Station (in London, Lori) for today. We then went on to Mistley for lunch at a little restaurant we like. Took the above photo from the restaurant looking over the river Stour to Suffolk.  

The small house pictured above also backs onto the Stour, and is a few yards from the restaurant.



We parked nearby, and found ourselves next to the small (but very sporty looking) Lagonda pictured above.

This morning Ann drove me over to Manningtree Station (she needed the car for today - organising the Ansell Club Luncheon for the elderly of our town), and I caught the train to London. At Liverpool Street Station I got on a Circle Line Tube train to South Kensington, and walked round to Christie's saleroom in the Old Brompton Road, where I picked up the one item for which I'd been successful in bidding. I then popped into a coffee shop opposite the sale rooms for a quick sandwich and coffee, and a few minutes later found myself in conversation with the new Arms and Armour Director, who I knew vaguely, but it was pleasant (and potentially useful) to get to know him a bit better. Then spent a useful half hour in the V.and A. before returning by tube and British Rail to Manningtree Station. I 'phoned Ann by mobile 'phone from the train, and she picked me up at the station, and ran me home. Been a busy, but oddly relaxing day.

Goodnight all.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I love eating beside a river or the sea.

Unknown said...

Yes, so do we, although Ann prefers the sea.

Lori Skoog said...

Still traveling all over the place I see. You two sure keep busy, and I love going places with you. I have seen so many things that I would not otherwise know about. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. It's always a pleasure to hear from you. And yes, it's good to keep busy.

Crowbard said...

I can't quite place your neighbouring Lagonda, Mike. Somewhere between the Rapier (1933-1937) and the post-1938 rapide I suspect, although there are some very convincing high quality replicas about these days...

Unknown said...

You know more about early motors than I do, Crowbard, but in view of its condition I might suspect your latter possibility (a replica) to be the correct one; although the index number on the car wasn't a modern one.