Saturday 25 August 2012

Saturday.


Yesterday we were on the road just before 9a.m. and drove up to Southwold, on the Suffolk coast. We arrived in the town at about 10.30 a.m., picked up friend Jo, and took her with us to the annual Southwold antique fair about half a mile inland at St. Felix School.  Rather to my surprise I was able to buy three pieces of antique stock (two were snuff boxes, a brass one with a combination lock built into the lid of the box to prevent people pinching the snuff - a pun worthy of Rog -  and the other was made from an English copper twopenny piece, of 1797,  which screws apart to reveal the snuff compartment). The third piece I bought was a tiny silver padlock made from two silver threepenny pieces. The key is missing but I've probably got one of the right size and period in my workshop, which I could adapt to the padlock - we'll see.  Ann bought a piece of local amber on a silver chain (for one of the granddaughters eventually), whilst Joe bought herself a fine early Victorian brooch, gold with seed pearls, tiny emeralds, and amethysts. It's a good fair, although I was rather shocked at the prices being asked for clocks and early weapons - I must rethink the prices I've been asking lately. Still we'd got a good haul.
      We then went back into Southwold and had lunch at a very good fish restaurant there. Ann and Jo each had a fresh crab with salad and boiled new potatoes,  and I had haddock, chips and peas, with the locally brewed ale (Adnam's). After we'd left Joe (she said she'd walk home- had a little shopping to do in town) Ann and I drove over to Halesworth and called to see old friends of ours - Michael and Pat, who we've known since the early sixties, when we all a little younger than we are now.



After we'd left them we drove into the back lanes a few miles from Halesworth to find  a lovely, but derelict, farmhouse we'd seen on our last visit to the area. To our surprise it has been tidied up to some extent and is now being lived in again. It probably dates from the mid 1500s, and looks as if it has been very little altered- see above photograph. Suffolk buildings never cease to surprise (and please) me.

We got home just after six p.m  in time to grab a cuppa and go to the local cinema club. Can't remember the name of the film, but it was about Nelson Mandela and the South African Rugby team. Well worth seeing; but the rules of Rugby seem to have been changed rather since I was at school. Being called up to supper now - so will wish you all a very good night.

11 comments:

Z said...

Ooh, we arrived at about noon. Sorry to have missed you. I looked at the weapons and thought of you!

Z said...

Ooh, we were there just behind you, sorry to have missed you.

Z said...

We were there just a bit later, about noon. I looked at the weapons and thought of you, sorry to have missed you. Halesworth street fair tomorrow morning.

Z said...

Mike, sorry, ignore most of those - it took so many attempts at the wv that I forgot that comments go for approval when my comment finally disappeared and I assumed it was lost altogether.

Unknown said...

Hello Z. We got there at 11a.m (on Friday) and pottered and nattered till nearly one p.m. so we must have 'overlapped' timewise. It would have been easy to miss people in that crowd, and the loss (as my grandfather would have said, bowing gracefully)) was entirely mine. I suppose you were looking for Lowestoft? Hope you found something.

Z said...

No, the Sage looked mostly at vestas. The only thing we bought, though, was one of those Japanese glass lamps from the stand at the entrance. I thought they were lovely, so Russell bought me one for my birthday.

here goes, another try at the wv!

Crowbard said...

Rules of Rugby when we were at school Mike? I don't recall there being any rules apart from 'don't tackle Stumpy, Morgan!'
LuvBruv

Unknown said...

Certainly that was the major rule Crowbard. I should explain that Stumpy Morgan taught (or tried to teach us) chemistry. He was a short but very muscular, elderly man (in our eyes - I suppose he was about fifty), and played annually in the masters v. boys match. He excelled at tucking the ball under one arm and galloping straight through anything that got in his way.

Unknown said...

P.s. Remembered. The name of the film we saw on Friday night was 'Invictus'. Worth seeing.

Rog said...

Southwold is a gem isn't it?

I love the slot machines on the Pier by Tim Hunkin.

I think Stumpy Morgan was finally released on parole last year wasn't he?

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. I've known Southwold since the 1940s, and you're right, it's a little gem of a place.

I do wish the authorities had warned us all about Stumpy Morgan's release, but, as he must now be somewhere between a hundred and ten and a hundred and twenty, on second thoughts I'm not too worried.