Thursday 5 July 2012

Thursday.



 And we finally come to the Stave Churches. These are wooden churches. The name Stave is the same as our staff, i.e. a wooden beam, pillar, or long cylinder. These staves were the supporting frame of the church and are  in the corners of the churches, and usually mid way along the walls, which also are of wood. The sill beams usually rest on foundations of well placed local rocks/stones. In Britain there are lots of records of early Christians building churches of wood, which (with one exception) were fairly soon afterwards replaced with stone churches. Imagine building a church of wood (and pinewood at that), which has been in constant use from the 1100s to the present day.
 It is thought that there were originally about 900 of these churches in Norway, of which 28 survive, together with one in Sweden, and, in my opinion, one in England. The ones that survived in Scandinavia are usually in remote, poor, and inaccessible areas, which gives any visit to  them something of the air of a pilgrimage. To get to the Church photographed above (Ringebu Stave Church) we had to follow Ruth's car (containing Ruth, Lasse, and the two girls) in our car winding steadily  over snowfields, ever higher hills,  and snow topped  mountains (the date we did this was 24th June). About twenty kilometres south of Ringebu we stopped for a break and Ruth told us we were now one thousand, four hundred and sixty six metres above sea level. We then continued to drive over minor roads through countryside that reminded me irresistibly of the original pen and ink illustrations to the Tolkien books.



The photo above was taken as we wound down the roads towards Ringebu and gives some idea of the lower countryside.. Mostly these churches are quite small inside, but as you look upwards in them, via completely timber framing to the roof, they seem much higher inside than they are, and have an airily spacious feel to them.
 Being summoned to a bite of supper now. Will try and write a bit more later.

12 comments:

Nea said...

Please Pa, I know I'm a numpty, but I'm sure I said "meters" not "kilometers", but just to clarify, we were about a mile high... I think.

Nea said...

Please Pa, I know I'm a numpty, but I'm sure I said "meters" not "kilometers", but just to clarify, we were about a mile high... I think.

Rog said...

It does look a little bit like a fairy tale castle. Where is the one in England?

Strawberry said...

It's a very pretty stave church, is it not?

Strawberry said...

and by the way the highest mountain in Norway is about 2 kilometers.
and the highest one in the world is 8 kilometers, so it is physically impossible that you were at that hight even if it felt like it, just to let you know. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, O female descendants for your diplomatic and subtle corrections. I thought I was being very up to date with my use of this new metric system, but henceforth I shall of course stick to rods, poles and perches. And I know you're not a Dumb Numpty, Nea, 'cause he had a great fall and was never the same again.

Unknown said...

P.s. The Corsican Tyrant has a lot to answer for. Metres and kilometres indeed!!!!!

Unknown said...

P.s. The Corsican Tyrant has a lot to answer for. Metres and kilometres indeed!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. St. Andrew's Church, Greensted Juxta Ongar, in Essex. The middle section is of vertical timbers- Oak- and claims to be the oldest timber building in the world (with some justification I think).

Sir Bruin said...

Mike - if God had meant us to be metric, there would have been 10 disciples.
That is a most impressive building.

Unknown said...

That is one of the best remarks I've heard in a while, Sir B., and I intend to pinch it and use it meself.
Do the two of you fancy a Hollowtrees brecky in the morning?

Sir Bruin said...

Only just seen your post - yes, we are up fro breakfast. Will ring you in the morning as it is a tad late right now. I can't take the credit for the metric comment, but feel free to quote it.