Monday 9 July 2012

Monday 1.



 All of the photos today are of Borgund Church. Above is the main doorway with Ann inside the church. There is an abundance of twelfth century woodcarving in and around this church, mostly of  the 'Celtic strapwork' type, although I do wonder if a better description might not be of the Nordic strapwork type. In view of the long drawn out discussion this might start, let's say of the interlacing strapwork type.



Another doorway with the posts surmounted by a pair of rather happy looking, though stylised lions. 



I climbed up the hill above the church a little way to take this one. It still has an oddly toy-like look to it. One or two points now about this church. The roof is of wooden shingles. The whole Church was heavily tarred to preserve it. The only windows in the church are a series of portholes high up near the roof. Their position corresponds to the clerestory in an English church, which leaves these churches rather dark inside, although some of them have had later windows inserted. This one is quite remarkably original, I'm told.
I've just thought of one or two more things I want to illustrate, so back in a minute.

4 comments:

Liz said...

That church does, as you say, look a little bit like a toy. To me, it also has a slightly oriental look about it. If you had asked me to guess where that bottom photo was taken, I would not have thought of Scandinavia.

Nea said...

The twiddly bits make me want to get my hands on some wood and start carving.

Unknown said...

Hello Liz. Yes, the ascending roof lines do give a rather 'pagoda' like appearance, to say nothing of the dragon head carvings. Coincidence, I suppose, that cultures on opposite side of the world should produce a vague similarity of style.

Unknown said...

Hello Nea. When you've finished your hand carved stave Church, we'd like to come and live in it, please. Well, in summer, anyway.