Sunday 13 May 2012

Sunday.



Rather a sad post. This morning friend Hilary 'phoned to say that our mutual friend Eileen died late last night. This was not unexpected, but still something of a shock. We played scrabble regularly as a foursome (Hilary, Eileen, Ann and meself). Eileen also played bridge. Indeed she played a good many games - tennis until she was  into her eighties, and golf until a few months ago.  Eileen had one habit at scrabble which has entered the language of our town. She would occasionally put down a highly unlikely word, and when we all objected that there was 'no such word' would reply 'Well, there aught to be!'  Then when the word was checked it would turn out (about nine times out of ten) that there jolly well was such a word, and that Eileen had made a pretty good score with  it. This became known as 'doing an Eileen',  and eventually meant taking any long shot or   outside chance which then succeeded,  became known as 'doing an Eileen'. She was a sunny natured lady who thoroughly enjoyed life, and will be much missed.

8 comments:

Crowbard said...

I'm sure the memory of her sunny nature and community spirit will be a welcome balm to ease your sad loss.

Requiem ad Resurgeam

Rog said...

Sounds a lovely lady.

And apologies for absence - for some reason the Armoury hasn't been flagging new posts in my blog roll.

Pat said...

Yes Crowbard said it best.

Unknown said...

Thank you Crowbard. And thank you, Rog. Yes, my computer seems to have been playing up of late. Unless it mends its ways I think I shall have to take strong measures about it (only wish I knew what to do to it. It's all very well for me to threaten strong measures when I don't what they should be - I think a swift kick in the slats might improve its manners. Any suggestions welcome, although I'm told that others in our area are having problems, so it might be that it's the area that's at fault???)

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Thank you, yes, my younger brother has 'the gift of the gab' in our family.

Crowbard said...

Thank you Pat and Mike,
Like most folk I say it best in writing because I've had time to consider things. But for instant witty ripostes I must defer to my slightly elder brother who has the gift of 'le mot juste' at his fingertips... or rather, on the tip of his tongue... unless he's signing!

Z said...

We have phrases like that too, and it does seem to keep the essence of the friend alive and present. I'm sorry about your sad news.

Unknown said...

Thank you Z.Quite agree; it seems to keep the person closer if someone quotes them and says "As ...... would have said."