Thursday 1 March 2012

Thursday 2.


This afternoon my barber (Bill from Stowmarket) called and, after I'd made a pot of coffee for us, he gave me my monthly(ish) crop. Bill is a keen collector/student of early weaponry, so we've always plenty to talk about. His interests are slightly later than mine and he'd brought along an early percussion revolver to show me. In return I showed him an early (but incomplete) snaplock gun I've been working on lately (well - on and off) and picked his brain on restoration methods he uses. He asked me if I could spare him any piercing saw blades - he's run out - so I gave him a few. He then refused to accept payment for my haircut, which was very generous of him, so gave him a small bottle of last year's sloe gin for his wife, as   I know she likes the stuff.
Moving on from weaponry, and  the two items illustrated above are not weapons, but are quite interesting domestic instruments. It's always the way - I've not had one of these in stock for a couple of years, then acquired two of them in different places in the last week or so.  They are both English and date from the eighteenth century.  Any ideas ?????

P.s. Goodnight All.

7 comments:

stigofthedump said...

Threatening the children with ???

stigofthedump said...

I can finally comment again - your blog looks different again !

Crowbard said...

Not for threatening the kinder, but definitely for striking lightly!

Unknown said...

Hello Stig. Good to hear from you. Do you mean that my blog refused to accept comments?????? Carl had the same problem at one stage. I really don't understand these machines.

Crowbard - Well put.

Pat said...

I like the idea of paying in kind - so much cooler that dealing in filthy lucre.
I don't know if it is me but since returning from oblivion Ican't get scrabble to work.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. I don't remember how we started the scrabble, do you? If you do, suggest we abandon the present game and start a new one.
Warm regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. Before I forget. The two items in the photo are flintlock tinder lighters. They were in use long before the days of friction matches, and were high- tech flint and steel with no danger of skinning the knuckles; and were used to start a fire if anyone was careless enough to let the fire out.
Crowbard got there immediately. If I do any more 'mystery object' blogs, I must remember to ban him from answering. He always knows!!!!!!