Friday 9 March 2012

Friday.


This morning we walked into town to cafe Church. I popped into the library on our way and Ann went to see our friend Eileen, who came out of hospital yesterday, having fallen and broken her pelvis. Sh'e been in hospital less than a week. Ann did a little shopping for her and one or two odd jobs. Eileen's problem at the moment is that she lives in a lovely Regency town house, which is on four floors and therefore not ideal for an elderly lady with a fractured pelvis. Still Hilary lives a few doors away from her and everyone is rallying round. On our way home we stopped off on the market place and bought a pork pie for lunch (little disappointing). We then went on to the flower stall where I often buy Ann flowers, but these too were not up to snuff (tulips and daffs fully open, everything a little tired, etc.).  Then Ann spotted that he had a large area of primulas of all colours and she picked out five different ones (see photo above). I was charged £2.50p for the five, and as they are hardy and can be planted out when they've done flowering, I think they were good value for money.   We're just off out to Cinema Club to see a film called Sunshine and Oranges. We read the book, it's about the children who were sent out to Australia a few years ago. The book was terrible, or at any rate the story was; but I thought it was a little one-sided. We never learned of anyone who'd done well or enjoyed the experience. I'll report back later (if worthwhile).

6 comments:

Crowbard said...

Those Primulae look as fresh and crisp as if they'd just been made out of icing to decorate a cake.
I notice you have a good mix of 'pins'(White & Yellow) and 'thrums' (Reds and Blue).

Unknown said...

They're beauties. The large white flower at the top left of the photo is three and a half inches across!

Pat said...

Poor Eileen - I'm glad she has good friends. I think sometimes these happenings can push us towards making life easier for ourselves by living in a more suitable abode - but it is the upheaval that is daunting.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Yes; Eileen is a lovely person, very gentle, and very determined - to stay in her own home to the end, I think; if it's humanly possible. What doesn't come across in that description is that she's also great fun. You'd love her.

Lori Skoog said...

Beautiful flowers and I love your new car. 50 miles per gallon is outstanding!

Crowbard said...

If I didn't know what a shyly modest gentleman you are, I could almost take your comment on the size of your Primulas as bragging, but I know it's only the joy of discovering a superb botanical specimen.
I was expecting one of the 'Juniors' to tackle me on 'pins & thrums'... it's good to find they already know all they want to about plant morphology.