Wednesday 14 September 2011

Wednesday 2.


After our sandwich lunch at the Lamb and Flag, we discovered, sitting on the wall beside the pub, two old aquaintances (for the benefit of Crowbard - another native of the area - their family names are Swan and Goodale). They explained to Ann that as the village now has no shop and no Post Office there is now no place from which they can collect their Old Age Pension. This problem is solved -in theory- by the Post Office sending a van to the village on Wednesday afternoons. The problem with this scheme (as explained by the two elderly ladies) is that this is in a poor reception area, and when the signal 'is down' the postman is unable to unlock the till inside the van.
"What do you do then?" asked Ann.
"Well, my dear" says the senior lady, "Those days we go home without it."

I think things must have been a great deal more reliable than that when the Old Age Pension was introduced in 1907- a hundred and four years ago- but we must have progress, I suppose. I am, of course - and in case you haven't spotted it - being ironic.

Good night all.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Crowbard said...

You wrong me with high honour sir. Unlike yourself I am a native of Leicester and cannot aspire to such worthy nativity as you suggest despite my early introduction to the realm of Boudicca.

Pootatu is having a mediaeval day too, her v-word is 'befel'... as in Chaucer's Prologue to the Canterbury tales.
'Befel that in that season on a day in Southwark at the Tabard as I lay redy to wenden on my pilgrymage....'

Lori Skoog said...

How sad is that!

Regarding the photographs below...I just can't get enough of the beautiful architecture that surrounds you.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, Crowbard. I had forgot.

Thank you Lori. You're right; we are very lucky inm this area.

Crowbard said...

Absolutely no apology required dearest bruv. I consider myself privileged to be so included in your inner architecture of earliest memories and forgetories.
Fondest fraternals always.

Pootatu thinks I'm bumbling on...
Her v-word is 'bembil'

PixieMum said...

I wonder if your friend whose surname is Swan originally came from Great Yarmouth area?

Obviously I do not know whether it is her maiden or married name, but my husband's family came from there, his branch has doubled the 'N' at the end but during the C19th century it was spelt both ways.

Thank you for your postings, they are always fascinating and interesting.

Unknown said...

Hello Pixie Mum. I think probably not. Welney is in the heart of the fens, albeit just within Norfolk. The Swan family has been settled in that area for several generations to my knowledge, so if there is a family connexion it is likely be in the very distant past.

Pat said...

In the days of Robert Browning there would be two or three posts daily.
What sweet old ladies. I wonder how old I have to get before I put myself in that category? Without the sweet of course.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. If you include Ann in that (and being over the three score years and ten mark, I suppose she qualifies) it reminds me of the song about the three old ladies who...... no, on second thoughts I can't remember it at all.