Saturday 10 September 2011

Saturday.



The above two photoes show Grandson Guy and Granddaughter Lucy, Both dressed to go and play football this morning. They both lost, Guy six - nil, Lucy's team did rather better and only lost four nil. However they both took it like sportsmen. Should perhaps have explained that we drove over to Milton Keynes yesterday afternoon. Sarah had put on a superb lunch today, at which we were joined by Frank and Jane, Mikey's parents. Hadn't seen them since Christmas, so it was good to pick up the threads. The real reason for our being in the area was to call and see our friend Frank, who has been bedridden for four/five years, and is now very poorly. Called in to see him on our way home this afternoon. Jenny gave us tea and I got their long case clock going (pulley problems). We then went through to say goodbye to Frank, and Jenny said to him (fairly loudly so he would hear) "Mike's just fixed grandfather for you, so thank him nicely and give Ann a kiss." I murmured in his ear "And, whatever you do, don't get those instructions muddled up." To my surprise he gave a snort of laughter and gave me a hearty handshake. It was good to see he hadn't lost his sense of fun.

On our way home the sky was cloudy until we neared Lavenham, then the skies to the west cleared just as the sun went down, we had rain, sunshine and a lovely double rainbow. The below picture shows a ford just outside Lavenham. It was dry when I took the picture, but ten minutes later I imagine that rainwater was running over the cobbles.









The above three pictures reminded me of that poem about the Rolling English Road (Masefield, I think) - 'And see clear eyed in evening light.....' will look it up*.


When I was snapping away at the rainbow, Ann, who was driving,  said "Look at the sky behind us", so I took the above picture through the rear window. Will close now and look up rolling English road poem.

*P.s. Reopen this to offer apology and corrections. It's by G.K.Chesterton, and the line I quoted should be:- "And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of Death".

Godnight All.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Nea said...

You had me worried there. The line you quoted made it sound a bit dirge like, but it's actually quite amusing:
"For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green." :)

Christopher said...

I think I prefer the Masefield!

Pat said...

Beautiful photos - it's looking quite autumnal.

Unknown said...

Hello Nea. It's always been rather a favourite poem - so I should have remembered it more accurately.

Thank you Christopher.

Thank you Pat. Yes, it is; but then in a few days time it will be autumn officially.
By the way, I think we're neck and neck in this game of scrabble. I'd better go back to it and see what you're up to now.

Lori Skoog said...

Mike and Ann,
I want to thank you and your friend, who reads my blog, for your thoughtfulness regarding the loss of Masterpiece this morning. It is greatly appreciated.

Your friend does not need to have a blog to leave comments. She can just sign up for a free google account and comment on anyone's blog.

Thanks again.
Lori

stigofthedump said...

of course it should read "For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen, Before we go to Paradise by way of Milton Keynes" !!!
Thanks for coming to see us - the flowers are lovely.
Stig
x

Crowbard said...

Darling Stig
Had I known Milton Keynes was on the way to Paradise I would have visited more often.
PS
I always thought Milton Keynes rhymed with 'built on plains' rather than 'to be seen'? or is that just Aunty-Beeb's manner of posh pronouncifying?

Pootatu is playing peek-a-boo...
Her v-word is 'aeysia' = I see ya

Crowbard said...

Spooky, I'm starting to think Pootatu is paying attention to my comments...
Her next v-word is 'nounsit' as in 'how should one pro-NOUNSIT?'

Amongst academic economists and statisticians who still debate Keynesian ideas there is a decided majority who make his name sound like 'Canes'.

Now I'm trying to recall which Milton provided the other half of the monica for Stig's Manor... The poet perhaps... or the inventor of sterilized baby-bottles? No, sorry, can't remember.