Friday 30 September 2011

Friday.



Hello Z. I'm not much of a ceramicist, but I think it's Chinese. It's just over four and a half inches high, and it looks and feels good. Ann occasionally puts small flowers in it (snowdrops look well). Sorry to have probably wasted your time - any information gratefully received. Point is - we both rather like it, so we've kept it for years. We did show it to Margaret Corson a good many years ago, and she too liked it, but I don't remember her springing about with excitement over it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Z said...

Hi Mike, we agree that it is Chinese. Probably not of great value, though it depends on its age, which doesn't show up in the photo. The decoration is interesting though - as you say, the pattern is like the early Lowestoft coffee cup I showed you, which demonstrates how 18th century English china factories copied Chinese patterns.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Zoe and Russel. Just felt the need to know. Now we can carry on enjoying it. I think it probably has a couple of centuries to its credit. As and when we run north I may well show you it at some time. Thanks again both of you.
Warm regards, Mike and Ann.