Saturday 13 August 2011

Saturday.


Motored into London today to go to grandson Matthew's eighteenth birthday party. Took above snapshot just after lunch. It shows, from left to right, Matthew, his mother Liz, his sister Beth, Jude (our son Jonathan's partner), Ann, and son Jonathan. We weren't at all sure what to give Matthew. When Ann asked him what he wanted he said  "Surprise me, Granny". Asked Liz and she reminded me that a year or so ago I'd given him some old weskits of mine (mainly yellow tattersall check ones) which had shrunk in the wardrobe (as so often happens) and she said he would love a watch and chain to wear with them, so dug out and gave him a silver hunter watch (hallmarked 1884) that had belonged to his great - great- great - grandfather. Ann contributed a good silver albert from her collection of chains to go with it. The watch had been given me, in a moribund state and heavily oxidised, by an old aunt  a good many years ago. I eventually cleaned and put it into working order, and it's a good time keeper. He was delighted with it. Lizzie had put on an excellent cold collation lunch, which we all enjoyed. Matthew's having a party for his friends (of his own age) this evening. Hope both Matthew and the watch survive it in decent working order.

Goodnight.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Crowbard said...

I take it Matthew's watch was the reason for your recent enquiry about our great grandfather Sam?
I hope the snippets I sent you added a little personalization to the gift.

Christopher said...

Splendid presents. And how interesting to hear about The Incredible Shrinking Wardrobe. You're not alone!

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. Yes, they were, thank you. All I know about him is hearsay. All our father remembered about him was that he was a quietly spoken, typically Victorian, gentleman. I gleaned the information that I gave about his marriages from Aunt Ivy, who gave me the watch. It was made by N.H.Lindshau, of Quorn (named on the dial and the backplate), of whom I can find no record. I'd be grateful for any facts you can find on him - which I'd pass on to Matthew.

Unknown said...

Hello Christopher. I find it surprising that none of the scientific types have as yet done any research on the fact that clothes left in a wardrobe for a few years, always shrink quite measurably. Mysterious, what?

Unknown said...

P.s. One of my daughters has told me that I should never end a sentence like that with the word 'What?' But should say 'isn't it?' My apologies.

Z said...

The Sage can still wear his hideous Old Reptonian blazer. Maybe he and I should swap wardrobes.

Liz said...

What a brilliant gift for an 18th and even more brilliant that he is mature enough at only 18 to appreciate it.

I'm impressed that Ann drove to London. I was a passenger in a car on a trip into central London once and was so traumatised by the traffic that I would only ever venture to the capital by train now. I hate the M25 too.

Unknown said...

Thank you Liz. Matt has his moments, but is usually a very mature bloke for his age. Ann has always rather liked driving in London (I used to say she treats London as a giant game of dodgem cars). I could drive there I suppose, if I had to, but I don' like it much. On the other hand I don't much like the railways either these days. Tend to be very crowded and unreliable. I think I'm sounding curmudgeonly. So on the positive side - it was a good trip both ways.

Crowbard said...

Given the choice between 'innit?' which used to be a question but has become a statement 'innit!' and the earlier 'Wodjafink?' (reminiscent of a Polish Person of Hebrew ancestry) I find myself unable to select the least detestable abuse of the ear'ole. Whereas 'What?' with a nicely blown 'h' descends graciously upon the lug and is much preferable to the distinctly matey 'Eh What?' It invites response without demanding it.

Pat said...

What splendid presents.
Again Christopher has taken the words out of my mouth!

Unknown said...

Thank you Crowbard. That's reassuring. I'll carry on using 'what?' meaning 'don't you agree?'

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat. I rather wish now that I'd taken 'before' and 'after' photoes of the watch. Still, I can always take a snap of Matthew wearing it slung across his waistcoat when he does.

Crowbard said...

Indeed I do agree Mike... and find your commitment to defy noxious modernisms most agreeable.

apologia: much that is modern is fine and admirable, even astonishing to behold. Unfortunately, as with graffiti, the worthy, amusing and entertaining is accompanied by a host of inept and offensive demonstrations of paucity of skill, perception, and discrimination.

Pootatu's v-word is 'abilion' - which I guess is how much she agrees?