Friday 22 July 2011

Friday 1.

Took above photo of our town's double jettied Guildhall when walking into Church this morning. Did a fair amount of work on the book stall which has been reopened after a two month closure, and has also been completely rejigged (for which, Lori, read rearranged). Then to Cafe Church, had coffee and croissant at table with Ann, Robert, Gloria and Pamela. Did bit more work on bookstall then walked home.

We had invited our friends Keith and Jill to a light lunch. They are fellow dealers with a great interest in early metalware. Keith wrote the definitive book on paktong (tutenag, lori). The book's called  'Paktong - The Chinese alloy in Europe'. Ann gave us mushroom soup, ham and a porkpie with salad, then a very good summer pudding with cream. Followed of course, by coffee. After lunch I picked their brains about a couple of pieces of early metalware I've recently purchased (it's all quite fair as Keith often asks my opinion on clocks or weaponry). A small amount of business was also done before they left around three thirty.
Ann and I then walked into town to pick up the car, which had been serviced, did a little shopping, then drove out to our farm shop, did a little more shopping, then treated ourselves to a pot of tea in my case, and a pot of coffee in Ann's. We plan to go out this evening to see a film about a chap who retires (of which I rather disapprove) then swims the channel (which I rather admire). Can't remember the title, but if the film's worth seeing, will try and remember to record it when we return. So- more later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Four Dinners said...

I sincerely hope it was Melton Mowbary Pork Pie...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Melton Mowbary Pork Pies.......

Unknown said...

Well no, actually I bought it on the market place this morning. It was made by a butcher in Woodbridge who sells on our market.I think they're probably about the best in East Anglia though.

Crowbard said...

I share your lust for Pork pies, 4Ds. But being half-way between Melton Mowbray and Market Harborough is a problem. The finest classic Pork Pies may be sought in Melton, but Harborough is a center of pie exotica. Turkey and chicken pies topped with glazed cranberries, Ham and game pies topped with apricots in aspic and others competing for consideration for tomorrow's breakfast.. I always end up with two halves of different pies and they last us all week.

Unknown said...

Your pork pies sound droolingly exotic Crowbard, and I hate to lower the tone, but my favourite pork pie is a small one that may be purchased at the motorway service station is made by a firm called Ginster's.
They're all probably equally bad for one, or so my chief medical adviser believes, but even she can be tempted eat half a Ginster's pork pie, as a snack on a long journey.

Unknown said...

P.s. Forde-Innes. Still finding it impossible to put comments on your blog, and Sir Bruin tells me he is having the same problem with commenting. So we must assume that there is (once again) a fault on the system, and must wait patiently for it to clear or be cleared. Will keep trying though.
Warm regards to you both, Mike.

Crowbard said...

There's a clean and modern Market Hall in Harborough where excellent butchers from Harborough and its farming hinterland regularly purvey their finest wares in mouthwatering displays.

Four Dinners said...

Ginsters????...Good grief!!!

I have deffo sorted out my comments...I think...

Jacqui returns from her safari in Madagascar in about 15 days so i will ensure she checks out my cock ups on commenmts.

nite old bean

4D x

Pat said...

A light lunch? I'd take that as my main meal any day of the week. Sounds delicious

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat. It was. If you ever find yourself in South Suffolk you would both be very welcome to drop in and take pot luck with us.

Unknown said...

Four Dinners, afraid you haven't sorted your comments acceptance out. I don't think it's your machine or mine- I think the system's at fault. But will keep trying.