Wednesday 16 February 2011

Wednesday.

Yesterday we motored across to Little port in Cambridgeshire to Ann's brother Michael's home, where we stopped, took photoes on front doorstep (top picture), changed me tie to a black one, got into Mick's car and went on six or seven miles north to Welney.
Went to the village Church for the funeral of an old family friend, Margaret Wilson. Got there early, and found ourselves a pew about halfway along the Church. A few minutes later a small family occupied the pew in front of us, one of them being a very elderly lady. Mick knew them better than we did (though if you grow up in a village you know the family faces) and introduced us, upon which the old lady shook my hand and said "Hello Michael. I went to school with your mother", then told me it would soon have been my mother's birthday, and how old she would have been, had she lived longer. For the benefit of Crowbard, the old lady was Linda, the last surviving daughter of Ernie Smith. After the service we walked across to the Lamb and Flag for a quick drink, and in the corridor met a very large and dignified old lady (built rather on the lines of the Albert Hall, and apparently of much the same vintage). She had a handsome, well chiselled face, and looked thoroughly distinguished. She, too, said "Hello Michael", then in the same breath "you and I used to play in the fields together when we were younger". This left me in something of a dilemma, as I'd no idea who she was, and the next few minutes took all my diplomatic skills to reply to her remark, and find out who she was, without revealing too clearly my complete non-recognition of her identity. I got there, though; and then remembered her very well (she was in fact some three or four years younger than I, and presumably still is). I challenge Crowbard to identify the lady on my description of her, always remembering that being nearer to her in age, he probably knew her rather better than I did. It was a strange sort of day. On leaving the pub I ran into another old friend (a bloke this time) who was an old school friend I hadn't seen in fifty odd years. I did recognise him, but only because I'd been talking to his daughter a bit earlier, She'd told me who she was, and who's daughter she was, then admitted to having had a bit of a pash for our son Jonathon when they were at junior school in the village; when I saw her next she was with her father. (Must remember to pull Jonathan's leg about this when I next see him). Then on to Phoebe's at Outwell for a very traditional tea (bless her). Back to Mick's, changed ties again, and out to supper at an Indian restaurant that he often frequents. Returned to his home, where we spent the night.


This morning in two cars to Bury St. Edmund's where we met up with Ann's other two brothers and their wives. To the refectory where we lunched (see above photo taken outside the Refectory). We then split up and strolled about Bury doing a little light shopping, and then met up again at three p.m. at the Angel Inn, shown in photo below, where we ordered a pot of tea for all of us, and Tim explained final details of Gran's small estate. Finally broke up the tea party just before five, and got back to our own home at sixish. Both feeling pleasantly tired, but have enjoyed what feels like a couple of days off. Feel as if I'm now typing like a light machine gun to fit whole, rather peculiar two days, in.





Goodnight All.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ed Clayton said...

Hi Uncle Mike,

I loved your use of the word "pash", it really made me laugh out loud, although I'm not entirely sure why...

Just thought I'd say that you really look smart in the photo outside Uncle Mick's house, and that's from a military point of view - I hope you take that as a compliment!

Have you had chance to see my new blog yet? It's at www.edclaytonblog.co.uk. I've had a lovely comment from Carl already.

Best wishes and love to Auntie Ann,

Ed

Crowbard said...

I feel ill equipped to rise to your challenge in view of the limited information provided, Mike.
That you played in the fields together suggests either the fields between Cock Fen and our back garden or Horsehead Drove. I would surmise the latter from the stature and features hinted at. First guess would be Ann Sp****ly although I thought she was closer to your age. There are three other possibilities from among our neighbours children and since you had a bicycle, many more within a few miles. Tell me I'm wrong and provide a more definitive clue please before I guess again. I'm intrigued!

Lori Skoog said...

You are one dapper dude! And I still say that you and Ann are the most social butterflies over there!

Crowbard said...

YOU'RE LOOKING VERY TRIM THESE DAYS MIKE, I MUST TRY THAT SMALL PLATE DIET!

pootatu's v-word is very helpful - unmat.
(Which I take to mean 'stop using a table mat under my plate and I will get more excersie reaching an eighth of an inch further for each mouthful'!) Not only are 'pooters clever, mine appears to have a sense of ironic humour too.

Unknown said...

Why thankee, Captain Clayton, sir.Taken as a compliment. I tried to get your new blog when you told me of it, but couldn't get through. Will now try again.
Ed, Ann says could you please ask Jo if we could have the recipe for those delicious little cakes you brought with you when you weekended with us ?
Love to you both, Mike and Ann.
P.s. I am preparing myself for another defeat at computer scrabble (groan).

Unknown said...

Hi Crowbard. Sorry, I should have realised that Annie S. would be the lady to spring immediately to mind from my description (although I think she would have grown more into a late Roman Emperor type. No, the lady I met was, I think referring to about 1949/50. I have no memory of it, although we may well have been in a group of youngsters playing in the fields. She had two older sisters (one of whom, the eldest, is no longer with us). I shall probably have to tell you, it's unexpected.
Once again - thank you, Lori.

Unknown said...

Sorry Ed. Just left a comment on your new blog and seem to have made a muck of it. Can you sort it out? Failing that I'll try again.

Crowbard said...

You are speaking of Hurst's Row days then Mike; Since you don't mention red hair and freckles I can eliminate Dawn Car*****t, and I don't think Patsy To****son had elder sisters, in any case she was a fragile, nervous young thing as I recall. My initial thought before Annie S. was Stephanie Y****s, but that would have been slightly later after we had moved from The Row. It would have been in the football field behind The Row at that time, so perhaps one of the Cock Fen girls, Lally Wa*****ld or George Swan's youngest, perhaps Miss B*ck*tt, probably not Shirley Co***n. No I give in; you have me completely flummoxed!
Pootatu says - 'Corin' which is of no assistance whatever as that name rings no bells at all!

Crowbard said...

Was it by any chance Val Smith who I believe married John Lo****y, your mention of Linda reminded me of her although I don't recall ever playing with her in the fields.
Pootatu says 'progr' an abbreviation of progress which I do not believe I am making here!

Unknown said...

Dear Crowbard,
You're are shooting all round the bull. The monumental old lady I met (she could have sat as the model for an Easter Island statue) turned out to have been - almost I feel in a previous incarnation- young Patsey Al----on. My word portrait of her was, I'm afraid,rather less than flattering, but she's now rather a handsome old lady. Although if you think of her oldest sister ( a jewel among women -clue) you'll probably recognise my description.
Your afectionate senior sibling, Mike.