Sunday 9 January 2011

Sunday.

 


Above is a picture of Assington Workhouse taken from the car as we drove into Sudbury yesterday. I was consulted about the contents of the place, and shown round it, when an old inventory turned up a few years ago. It was built (possibly using an older timber frame) in 1783 at a cost of two hundred and twenty nine pounds, sixteen shillings, and a penny, to house (from memory) just over thirty paupers, and held, according to the inventory more spinning wheels (for the paupers to work at)than beds for them to sleep in. When I looked over it a few years ago it was almost derelict, and had just been bought by a couple who planned to turn it into a spacious, and handsome, home. I think they must have run out of time, money, and enthusiasm (not necessarily in that order) because it is now more or less derelict again.
Both yesterday and today have been lovely sunny days; though last night we had a hard frost and I think another's due tonight. Family service this morning, which means the choir didn't have to robe, although I was asked, at short notice,to read the Gospel. After lunch changed into me scruff and spent the afternoon in the workshop. Ann called me up to supper at about 6.30 p.m. (sausage casserole then stewed apples with cloves, and custard), after which I sat down and finished yesterday's Telegraph prize crossword - a stinker. By the way, if you're reading this, Stig, how did you do at it? I ask because, although I'm fairly sure of the answers, I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning behind one or two of them.Since then I've been doing a bit more pottering in the workshop (and forge). Time for bed now though, so -Goodnight All.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

stigofthedump said...

Absolute bugger !!!
Have done a couple, one anagram (kitchen) and the one about the clock ( old timer ), and no more but have completed a huge pile of ironing so day not complete write off !!!
Will try and call lateish tomorrow afternoon to confer.
night
Stig
x

Unknown said...

Hi Stig. Even more of a stinker than I thought then. Sheila in church was cursing about it a bit. Just to start you off again 5 down is 'goodfellowship'. Give me ring if you get stuck.
Love, Papa.

stigofthedump said...

Hi Pa
Have just had Uncle Mick on the blower, he wants a photgraph of the old brown Bentley he owned in circa 1984, which he and I think was used at a family wedding ( possibly mine ???) if you could confirm, I will dig through the garage, or if you have a photo' of the car, would you let me know ? It would save me realising just how disorganised my garage is !!!
He has tried to contact you, but failed miserably !
Cheers
Stig
x

Unknown said...

Hi Stig, is that the Bentley you were sick down at Criccieth? Anyway, I'll have a look through my beureau for old photoes, and let you know. I think we've got one somewhere.
Cheers, Papa.

Crowbard said...

I seem to recall You and Ann had a Bentley for your wedding. Was that Roy Cowell's or did Mike C. have a Bentley then?

Unknown said...

It was Roy's, bless him. And yes, I think it was a Bentley.

stigofthedump said...

No that was a Daimler I was sick on !!!
I am a classy bird ain't I !!!
I don't puke on any old vehicle you know, oh no, it has to be a posh car !!!
Much love
Stig
x