Friday 3 December 2010

Friday 2.



Above photograph is of a loaf of bread. It is the first loaf I have ever made, and although it looks a bit odd (brown round the sides but pale on top) it tastes pretty good - you will notice evidence of the quality control check I felt it my duty to make to the left of the bread board. To make bread these days a special machine has to be used. It is called 'a bread maker'. We have had it for some years and Ann explained its use to me on Wednesday evening before pushing off to Sweden, so I made a loaf today whilst her instructions were fresh in my mind. As you can see they were effective.
Went to cafe Church this morning. Everyone asked after Ann, and all seemed surprised that she had set out in the prevailing weather conditions; more surprised that Stanstead Airport was still open; and pleasantly surprised that Ann had made the complete journey without any hitches or holdups. Had my usual cup of coffee and a croissant, then walked home, calling in at my barber's on the way for a much need haircut.
Since then I have been pottering about in the workshop, unloading and reloading the dishwasher, and as stated, making bread.
Just received a bit of sad news. Ann's youngest brother's father-in-law has just passed away. Not unexpected, but he will be much missed. He was a retired Norfolk farmer and had the rare quality of solid common sense. We used to meet him at family get togethers, and chatting with him was always a source of pleasure to me. But he hadn't been able to get out and about this last few months, so we hadn't seen as much of him lately as I'd have liked.
Posted by PicasaThis blog probably reads a bit non sequitur, due to intermittent 'phone calls. It's time for me to to knock off and retire to bed now, so- Good night all.

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Hey Mike! The bread maker! I wish Gary would start doing it again. 40 years ago he used to produce some pretty great loaves.

Good for you! Is it still snowing where you are?

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. No, it's stopped, and not only that, it's now thawing fast. Pavements still treacherous (water on top of ice is not a good combination) but I think the worst is over for the time being. Hope so, anyway.
Regards, Mike.