Monday 1 November 2010

Monday 1.



First of all my apologies for not having blogged for a few days. I seem to have been very much in demand recently by the owners of poorly grandfathers (clocks that is). I've been to look at two today, both old aquaintances, and both with strike problems. One of them had been attacked by its owner, whose wife didn't want it to strike during the night, and after his attentions it wasn't striking during the night. Or during the day. In fact (bad pun coming up) in regard to striking, it had gone on strike completely. Took me just over an hour to rectify things. Went to look at another this afternoon in Ipswich where the strike system (being rather experimental in its day) is over sophisticated, and therefore a bit tempramental. Took rather longer to persuade it to return to its duties. Took above snapshot of autumn colours on the way home. I don't know if you've noticed but life is rarely consistent (not sure I've got the right word there); what I mean is :- sometimes I can go for months (well many weeks anyway) without being asked to look at a clock, and then within a fortnight I'm shown half a dozen of them and expected to be able to put them all right within a matter of days. My usual method (especially at this time of year) is to offer to try and have them going by Christmas. This method at least ensures a good busy run up to the festive season, so that I'm glad of a couple of days peace at the end of the year.

Got home today to find a message on the answering machine from an old friend of mine who keeps an eye on the auction rooms in his area for me. I think the computer is a marvellous invention - Jim had left me the Auctioneer's details, I 'Googled' them, looked at the catalogue (some nice early pistols), then 'phoned Jim back, gave him the lot numbers, discussed them, and left bids on a few lots, all subject to his checking them for condition, originality and attraction. Jim, who's well into his eighties, is now retired, but has a lot of knowledge, and says it gives him an interest in life. He's found me some nice bits over the last few years. He refuses to take any commission for this, but does allow us to buy him the occasional pub lunch when we drive down to Sussex to collect the booty.
Having written this I realise that I've mentioned Jim before, usually when we've driven down to see him.

Looking back over what I've just written, I realise that I've about restored the average amount of bloggery, so will knock off now.
Goodnight all.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim 'phoned me on Wednesday evening to tell me that we'd got two of the half dozen lots we'd bid on, which is pretty good, I think.