Thursday 30 September 2010

Thursday 1.


Glad to report there still a few late roses in the garden. Anyone remember that Victorian parlour song The last Rose of Summer? The last verse goes, if I remember :-

I'll not leave thee, thou lone one, to pine on the stem.
Since the lovely are sleeping, go sleep thou with them.
Thus kindly I scatter thy leaves o'er the bed
Where thy mates of the garden lie scentless and dead.

Cheery little effort, usually sung by a quavering tenor. Oh well, it takes all sorts! More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Z said...

I'm all behind and I've only just read of Ann's bereavement and Mike's birthday. I am sorry. Best wishes to you both.

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike,
I think that's the second verse of the 3 I know...

"The Last Rose Of Summer"

'Tis the last rose of summer left blooming alone
All her lovely companions are faded and gone
No flower of her kindred, no rosebud is nigh
To reflect back her blushes and give sigh for sigh

I'll not leave thee, thou lone one, to pine on the stem
Since the lovely are sleeping, go sleep thou with them
Thus kindly I scatter thy leaves o'er the bed
Where thy mates of the garden lie scentless and dead

So soon may I follow when friendships decay
And from love's shining circle the gems drop away
When true hearts lie withered and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
This bleak world alone

Morbid, mournful and melodramatic...
But Heck! It's about roses so it must be "Lovely! What?"

No pizes(v-word sic)for guessing that 'Pootatu can't spell prizes, but she obviously approves my sentiments!

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. Appreciated.

Hello Carl. You're quite right. I could have sung the first two verses. I had to sing the second verse to remember it. I'd forgotten the third verse (till I read it). I've been meaning to 'phone you (and should have done so)to thank you for your contribution towards Gran's Outing.Very generous of you both.
Much love Mike and Ann.