Sunday 15 August 2010

Sunday.


Been a fairly busy weekend. Cafe Church on Friday morning. Had coffee and croissants and met a good many of our friends there. On Friday afternoon our ex Dean and his wife (David and Felicity) came to tea, as did Sylvia H., a mutual friend, to whom we owed a tea. We really gave the tea party to help welcome a comparitive newcomer to town- Robert; but he had to cry off. He is not a well man and really wasn't up to it. He sent a note on Wednesday to say that he might not be able to make it, and confirmed that fact on the 'phone around midday on Friday. It was a good tea party, and lovely to catch up on all David and Felicity's news. They left just after six p.m., and I ran Sylvia home (she lives about a mile away at the top of the hill).
Yesterday we motored about four miles out of town to attend a grandfather clock on which I'd rebuilt the pendulum a few weeks ago and which needed a little regulation. We made a detour on the way home to go to our favourite farm shop (which also boasts one of our favourite coffee shops) and on the way stopped to take the above snap. Scrabble club yesterday afternoon. Three games on our table, all of which Hilary (who was on top form) won. At this morning's service both Ann and I were in the choir, which we all felt was in good voice for once. Stopped for coffee afterwards and met new people in town; I was coffeeing and talking to Oliver, who is six, but a very grown up six, and he told me he'd been sitting with his grandparents, who are new to the town, during the service. He then insisted that I should come and meet his grandfather, and proceeded to introduce us very correctly. Didn't really hear Grandpa's name, but found we had a good deal in common. Unfortunately was called away by two of our church ladies to confirm which stall I would be helping out on at the Deanery Fete in a fortnight's time. I called Ann in and it was eventually decided that I'd be in charge of the till at the tea tent, rather than be helping on the book stall. I rather liked the idea of the book stall, but Ann put her foot down regarding me hauling boxes of books about (which I wasn't really looking forward to), so in the end the decision chimed in with my own inclinations, and anyway, working at the tea tent always ensures a good supply of refreshments during the afternoon (do I hear a murmur of "Greedy old man" ?). The success of the Deanery Fete always depends on the weather, so fingers crossed for sun in a fortnight's time.
Ann's just called down to tell me she's going up for a quick zizz, so I think I'll join her.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: