Friday 9 April 2010

Friday 1.

 


Photo is of Ann and Grandson Matthew on our walk yesterday.

Very fine morning, clear blue skies. So I decided that it was linen jacket and flannels weather and dressed accordingly. Ann and I went out to Cafe Church (as it's now known). Had our usual black filter coffee and croissant. Chatted with a good many of our friends. Matt stayed at home and got on with some work I'd given him to earn pocket money, mainly cleaning brass, copper, etc., ready for a lecture I'm giving on Tuesday Evening to the Yaxley Antique Collectors' Club. It's entitled 'The history of base metalware' and I've given it a good many times. Still, it usually seems popular. When we got home Matthew had cleaned everything I'd left out, and asked for more. When in the right mood he's a good worker, and can always be relied on to see a job that needs doing. After that he packed a good many of the bits I'd left out to illustrate the talk. He assures me he knows where everything is packed. Nephew William called in at about 4 p.m., as did neighbours Ian and Marie. Ann produced tea and cakes (and one coffee by request) and it turned into a very pleasant impromptu gathering. Yesterday our retired Dean and his wife were due to come to lunch, but 'phoned in the morning and cried off -both had streaming colds and sounded very croaky. Ann had planned to give them her fish pie (now well known and deservedly popular in the area). So we went for a walk and had a pub lunch instead, as per yesterday's blog. That of course left us with the ingredients (or ingreediments as Nea used to call them) of a fish pie, which we are having this evening. Matt's just been down to ask what I'd like to drink with supper, and I've sent him off to select and open a bottle of white wine. Be interesting to see what he chooses. Nearly supper time, so I'd better get meself upstairs and cleaned up ready. More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

What a happy handsom pair; they look pleased with themselves and proud of each other!
We have a great family Mike.

Nea said...

Hasn't he grown again?

My WV is makid (ma+kid) which fits nicely.

Unknown said...

Indeed we have, Carl.
He has, Ruth, and he's starting to broaden (across the shoulders).