Thursday 24 September 2009

Thursday.

 


Illustrated above is one of the oddest jobs I've done this year. I'm an antiquarian horologist (when I want to swank). That is, I repair and restore antique clocks, and I'm usually fairly discriminating about what I'll take on. But the above lady (I nearly said the above young lady- although, of course, she's about a hundred and fifty years old) was shown to me by a friend, in whose family she has been since she was new; and having been constantly played with all that time she was in a sorry state- minus both lower legs, and a complete right arm was missing. As well as this, all her joints were feeling their age. Well, I repegged her joints, and made the missing bits, and now she's ready for another century or so of rough and tumble with the children. Her owner thought about putting her in a glass case, but to my mind that isn't what she's for.

I really started this blog, intending to say that I won't be blogging for a few days - busy time coming up- but then when I found this photo, got carried away telling you about it. Anyway, I shall be back blogging in a few days, and in the meantime God bless you all - Mike.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: