Thursday 3 September 2009

Thursday 6.

 


This tangled, ancient tree, grows from the river bank above the river Brett, and by the use of many roots, clings to both the river bank and the edge of the road above it. Below the tree, among its roots, are earthy caverns that would be wonderful (and perhaps a little dangerous) for children to play in. When this tree eventually falls, which I hope won't be for many years yet, it will take at least twenty five yards of Suffolk lane with it. A magical spot. I'd have taken more photoes, but as there were two cars coming from different directions,and only room for one car, I had to climb up to the lane above, and direct traffic.
More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

If only those roots could talk....

Crowbard said...

I understand the Old English name Brett refers to settling Norman invaders post 1066 and all that because of their Breton origins.
Is it likely that this river could have been named for such bank-side inhabitants?

Unknown said...

Hi Crowbard. Hmmmm. I suppose it's possible, but I would think the river Brett had much the same name long before the Normans made such pests of themselves. I don't know. I'll see what I can find out.
Warm regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. Although the name of the nearby village of Thorpe Moriuex is such a lovely mix of Saxon and Norman that there may be something in what you say.