Saturday 5 September 2009

Saturday.

 


Took this photo from the car on Thursday as we were passing a local llama farm. I can only remember the spelling of llama by reciting :- "The one 'L' lama, he's a priest. The two 'L' llama he's a beast. And I will bet a silk pyjama there isn't any three 'L' lama." But these are alpacas, so it's academic anyway.
Today has been very busy. It's the day of the Deanery Fete. Ann spent a lot of today supplying ploughmen's lunches in the Church, and I spent three and a half hours taking the money in the tea tent on the lawn of the Deanery garden. There are E.U. guidelines that those supplying food should not touch money, and that those taking money should not touch food. So that meant that there were three ladies rushing about supplying tea and cakes to the ravenous hordes of pleasure seekers, and your blogger sitting at the till, taking money and giving change. As I've never been able to add up satisfactorily, I had some difficulty when faced with customers who wished to purchase two cups of tea, an orange squash, two cakes and a scone with butter, and had I got change for a twenty pound note, please? Things got very hectic indeed at times. Still the afternoon sped past. I found that I was also well placed to watch the annual Deanery Dog Show in the rare quiet spells. During one of these I was able to see a rather loopy looking miniature King Charles spaniel who was taking an unnatural, inappropriate, and ultimately unwise, interest in a very fine specimen of bull mastiff !!!!! The end result of the encounter rather reminded me of the (I hope apochryphal) story about the chiuwawa that killed a great Dane. The great Dane choked on it.
Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Great photo and loved the story that you ended your post with. Busy, busy, busy.

Crowbard said...

Your mnemonic holds true with the exception of Tenzin Gyatso,and his predescessors. He is the 14th, and I believe current, Dalai Lama who may be considered to be a two 'L' lama by way of the 'L' in Dalai (In hardly any sense can he be considered a beast). Since the Dalai Lama is also a Tulku, please may I claim the wagered silk pyjama?

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori.
Hi Crowbard. You make a very valid point regarding the Dalai Lama (Tulku) and I consider you have won the bet fairly and squarely, and may justly claim the silk pyjama.
I do hope that Mr. Ogden Nash (who made the bet) or indeed his executors, see it in the same light.
That is, of course (or partly) why I use inverted commas round his poem (surely rather more than a mnemonic ?)
Brotherly regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori.
Hi Crowbard. You make a very valid point regarding the Dalai Lama (Tulku) and I consider you have won the bet fairly and squarely, and may justly claim the silk pyjama.
I do hope that Mr. Ogden Nash (who made the bet) or indeed his executors, see it in the same light.
That is, of course (or partly) why I use inverted commas round his poem (surely rather more than a mnemonic ?)
Brotherly regards, Mike.

Crowbard said...

The grapes would have been sour anyway... sorry no, I meant the silk pyjama would be moth-eaten by now anyway!
Nifty footwork dear brother, you still hold the record for never losing a bet with me. But I am delighted to have your admission in writing that I have won a bet for which you were Acting Publicity Agent. I dare say that is as close as I will ever get. You're still my unbeatable hero.

'Pooter thinks your response is a bit naughty, her v-word is 'insins'! - no sense of legitimacy these dratted rude mechanicals!