Saturday 18 July 2009

Saturday.



Can anyone identify the plant Ann is holding. We were given it a year or so ago, since when it has lived happily on a north east facing kitchen window sill. It is a small shrub type plant, and has pannicles (if that's the right word) of small star shaped white flowers with red centres. The flowers look as if they are made of wax. We have no idea what it is. Any ideas ? Anyone ? Jude ?
Yesterday evening we had supper with our good friend Terry. She has a problem in the shape of a small rabbit which lives (with his Mama and siblings) outside Terry's small garden, which he visits regularly. Terry showed us him last night on her lawn. He has some form of myxamatosis. He is active enough, but has very swollen eye sockets and is obviously blind. I volunteered to go over and do the necessary with a .22 air rifle this morning.
Matthew immediately offered to come with me. We both dislike killing sick animals, but it is a necessary duty. This morning we sighted up my old air rifle, and it became obvious that although we have both been awarded the army cadet Marksman First Class badge (meself a very long time ago) Matthew is a better shot than I am, and is much more in practice. We then motored over to Terry's (knowing she would be out), and waited for bunny for an hour and a half, meself sitting on a garden bench, and Matthew squatting at a corner of the house with the air rifle across his knees. I found meself dozing in the sun, and as you'll have gathered by this time, bunny failed to show up. Could be just perversity on his part, or good sense, or, which I think more than likely, a fox did the job for us during the night. Hope so anyway.
Ann's helping with the refreshments at a choral evening to be held at St. Mary's this evening, so Matt and I went to scrabble club this afternoon. Two excellent games. We shall both be going to the concert at sixish, so must knock off now, get us a bite of tea, and tidy meself up. More later perhaps, depending on when the Concert ends.
Cheers, Mike.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Maggie said...

I am pretty sure that this is a 'Waxflower' (Hoya carnosa). Lovely isn't it?

By the way, your Snake in the Grass looked so tasty that I went out and got some Cumberland sausage this morning!

What a wonderful chap Matthew is, already a gentleman at such a young age, how rare these days.

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike,
Jude's abed at the moment but that plant looks like a Hoya to me, we had one at Kingstone Avenue - very waxy petals and a strong sweet night-scent.
I believe ours was a Hoya Carnosa.

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie, Carl,and Sue. Thanks for the information on the plant.You are all agreed on its being a Hoya(Carnosa). Your expertise is much appreciated. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Or as Grandpa Horner (not me - the previous one) used to say "It's not what you know, or who you know. It's what you know about who you know".

Crowbard said...

Very true Mike, suddenly I find myself examining my conscience and wondering how much your silence might cost!

Unknown said...

P.s. I should have said Terry's Large garden. I think I got muddled about small rabbits and large gardens.