Friday 24 July 2009

Friday.


Been a good summer for butterflies. Started with a Painted Lady in the herb garden on 24th May, and today I was able to take this snapshot of Peacock butterfly on one of the garden chairs.

Yesterday was quite busy. In the workshop in the morning. We sung at a wedding in St. Mary's at noon. Home for lunch, then Bill, my barber, called (by appointment) at 3p.m. and gave me a haircut, of which I'm afraid I was much in need. Bill collects antique guns, so we always have plenty to natter about. At 7 p.m. to the Eight Bells, where I had dinner with the local Rotarians Club where I was guest speaker. Gave them my talk on the history of clocks and watches. Went well. Spoke for twenty minutes (as requested) then threw it open for questions. Good many intelligent questions (most of which proved they had been listening). One question was from the senior member (a nonagenarian) about the Prague Cathedral clock, which he had seen in 1933. Fortunately was able to answer this to his satisfaction. Last question was a stinker about whether 'Time' was man made or God made. Was able to answer it by pointing out that everything by which Man measures time was made by God, i.e. earth revolving against the sun (one day), earth revolving around the sun (one year) and the word month was originally moon- eth - so that nobody was offended. Ann's gone to Wisbech to see her mother today. Hope she's not too late home, as we'd arranged to go to the Cinema Club this evening. Talking of which I'd better go and get changed ready. More later perhaps.Posted by Picasa

No comments: