Sunday 21 June 2009

Sunday.

Motored down to London this morning and went to daughter Lizzie's. Ruth and the girls came with us and are staying a few days with Lizzie (Ruth wants to show the girls the sights) then coming back to us on Thursday (?). Liz ran me round to Sotheby's to view their arms and armour sale - not very exciting. Back to Lizzie's mid afternoon. Lizzie had put a barbecue on for us at 5 p.m. - sausages, hamburgers, and vegetables barbecued on long skewers, followed by rhubarb fool. Delicious. Lizzie is a very good cook. Had intended to take lots of photoes but found that I'd not put the card back in the camera. Ruth lent me her camera, took photoes but will not be able to put them on blog until Ruth returns on Thursday. Bird life in London surprised me. Got a really good look at a jay this morning when we'd stopped at traffic lights. Then this evening on way home (but still in London) saw a big old heron and then a sparrow hawk. Been a long day and now bedtime so - Goodnight All.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of birds, have you been to see the cranes that descend on Hornborga in Sweden every April? There were 4,000 of them there when I went - astonishing.

Thank you for the welcome home, too!

Unknown said...

No, but I have seen cranes in the north of Sweden. Up near Ragunda two years ago, and I was astonished at the size of them. Also capercaillie - they look like heavyweight turkeys. Did you see elk while you were there ? Morose looking creatures, and again the size is disconcerting.

Anonymous said...

Elk are enormous! I couldn't get over the size of their heads.

We also saw a tjerder (swedish for black grouse) in the wild. It wasn't too impressed with our attempts to photograph it and ended up giving chase. It looked like a scene from Benny Hill as we all took off.

Lori Skoog said...

Hey Mike! What is rhubarb fool? We grow and eat a lot of rhubarb here.... No, we are not vegetarians (but should be) but we do not eat a lot of meat. Joe is about 16'1 hands. There is a Belgian around that corner that is 19!!!!!!hands. The biggest I have ever seen, and he is ridden.
Hope you and your family are having a great time together.

Crowbard said...

There used to be a lot of cranes around the London Docklands, but the population appears to be on the decline! (Stevedores seem to be fewer in the area too.)

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Rhubarb fool is a sort of puddng. Almost any seasonal fruit can be used in a fool. I checked on Google. There are several recipes there for rhubarb fool. Ann say both the BBC recipe and the Waitrose recipe look good. Generally they involve stewed fruit, custard and cream. I think I like your Joe because he reminds me of the farm horses I worked with as a boy. I like vegetarian food (I like it more as I get older, I think). I could become a vegetarian provided they let me have a decent roast beef meal once a week to keep me healthy. Regards, Mike.