Tuesday 16 June 2009

Still Tuesday.

Giving a meal to friends this evening. Two couples -both of whom we know well.. Unusual meal in that the two ladies are sort of cousins who've never really met. As one pair are shortly moving to France permanently they wanted to meet up before Liz and Richard depart. So we offered to host a meal. Ann 'phoned Judy and asked her whether she'd prefer lunch or dinner? Judy thought about it and said that what she really fancied was a High Tea, which she hadn't had in years. Afternoon tea? queried Ann. No, says Judy, High Tea. Well, we looked into the matter, and it seems that the definition of high tea varies regionally about the country. Oop North it seems that high tea must include a hot main dish, a cool sweet dish (jellies or a trifle) but must start off with sandwiches and conclude with fruit cake, preferably with a choice of cheese. Oh, and with a steady stream of tea to accompany it, and pork pies. Well, we don't intend to go to those riotous lengths. As it's a warm day, I've prepared a large jug of Pimms to drink in the garden before tea (they're getting here about 5p.m.) The main dish is a kedgeree - vide Irene, last Saturday evening, followed by a hot swiss trifle, followed by tea. Hope it goes well. I'm sure it will because they're all thoroughly nice people. I'm glad I said that because I've just remembered that Judy sometimes reads my blog. I'd better just flick through it and make sure I haven't dropped any clogs. No, it looks alright. More later, perhaps.

No comments: