Wednesday 27 May 2009

Wednesday.

Took some 'skyscapes' yesterday on the way home from Erica's funeral.
When we set out from home at 9a.m. it was a rainy, miserable, thoroughly funereal looking, day. As we approached Ely, we could see that the sky was becoming lighter. Picked up Lizzie at Ely Railway Station, and on to Welney, where the weather eventually became quite sunny. We were at the Lamb and flag by midday, where I hadbooked a table for eight (although Kerry was unable to join us). Son Jonathan and his lady, Jude, had motored across from Wolverhampton (2 and 3/4 hours). Had a really very good lunch - for a country pub- and less expensive than I had thought. After lunch went across road to Welney Church (where I was Churchwarden for a few years in the 80s). By 2.30 p.m. the Church was more crowded than I had ever seen it. People were being ushered into the choir stalls, and even the old gallery at the back (not normally used at all) was crowded. The service was atypical but, I think, very sincere. At the interment Mick was standing on his own at the head of the grave, whilst his children and grandchildren stood at the foot. Ann decided that her big brother looked lonely, so at my suggestion she went and stood next to him and supported him. Our youngest daughter, Lizzie, then came and stood by me, which I was glad of (later both Mick's daughters came and thanked their Aunt for going to him- as did Mick). After the interment I met loads of people I hadn't seen for years. The memory, I'm glad to say, worked reasonably well. Cissy Bedford (the village dressmaker at one time) asked me if Gran Clayton was present as she would love to see her again. I took her across to Gran, and the two old ladies - one over a hundred and the other a year or so less- were so pleased to see each other that it was a real pleasure to see and hear them. We then went to Littleport Village Hall for tea. Met lots more people -memory continued to do its duty. Eventually dropped Lizzie off at Ely Railway Station and drove home. Weather now was much improved and managed to photograph impressive cloud formations.
A memorable, but very tiring, day.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nea said...

I like the way the cloud appears to imitate the greenery.

I am glad that so many were able to make it to the service. It must have been a comfort to know that she was respected and loved by so many.

Crowbard said...

Kind thoughts and blessings to you all. So sorry I was not fit enough to attend. On'ards and Up'ards!

Unknown said...

Hi Nea. Yes, took the photo from a moving car, so it was sheer luck that the cloud appears to have been trampolining on the trees !

Thank you Crowbard. The WV by the way is glibend. Don't know if it refers to you or me??

Crowbard said...

Don't think either Mike, your from Lakesend and I should have been Tipsend ! (if that's not too glib?)