Thursday 19 March 2009

Thursday.


Snapshot is of another part of large, rambling guildhall, giving onto the churchyard.
Been a busy week. Ann came home from Gran's on Tuesday afternoon, and in the evening we went to the Mercury Theatre in Colchester to see 'A chorus of disapproval'. It was quite amusing and very well done but didn't seem to have much plot. We went with Ivan and Margaret in their car. Ivan wouldn't take anything for petrol, so I paid the parking fee. Pleasant evening out.
On Wednesday we went to early Service and stayed to breakfast. In mid morning the Pinns (dealer friends) called in and I sold them a sword stick, an early snuffbox, and a couple of fire steels. Then our friends the Tinworths came to lunch. Ann gave us chicken in a mushroom sauce, with all sorts of roast vegetable, new potatoes and creamed celeriac, followed by a hot Swiss trifle, and a cheese board. John is a retired antique dealer and after lunch I bought some flint arrow heads and the remains of a small blunderbuss (for cannibalisation purposes) from him. At 3.30 p.m. I had to make my excuses and dash into town to see my optician about my new varifocals (with which I cannot seem to get on). He has agreed to change them for a pair of bi-focals, with which I hope to be more in accord. Hurried home, and just caught John and Margaret in time to say goodbye. In evening went to shared Lenten meal and discussion group at Ann and Bob Smiths. Very full day !!!!!
Today pottered over to Sudbury. Ordered trousers at Peddars, bought black ink for computer, shopped at Waitrose, then met Robertsons, by chance and went and had coffee with them at the Secret Garden. Home, lunch, then Ann went to a committee meeting of the Ansell Club, and I relaxed and pottered in my workshop. For supper Ann served up remains of yesterday's superb lunch (tasted even better today). Now nearly bedtime and I think we're both ready for it. Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The Preacherman said...

I'm absolutely knackered reading that and I'm (relatively) a kid!!! ;-)

How do you canibalise a blunderbus??

I tried to buy a very large musket once - it was about 6 feet long and had a tripod to stand on. Caz didn't mind the exorbitant cost so much as where the hell it would go.

Musket...divorce court....musket...divorce court...

oh hells bells! Women!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi P'man. When I say canibalise a blunderbuss, I don't mean I intend to eat the thing, but that I intend to use the parts for restoration of other pieces. Having said that I've had a better look at the thing and I think it's just (but only just) to good for that. Must think about it.
Ladies/Guns: As you observe, they don't usually go for big, rusty, impressive pieces. BUT- they very often do go for small, well made, decorative guns - muff pistols, pocket pistols, pepperboxes, preferably with walnut stocks, silver inlay and mounts - expensive tastes in other words- or good taste in still more other words; and I suppose this is probably no bad thing for we blokes. Well. Think about it.....
Cheers, Mike.

Crowbard said...

Lovely shiner you're sporting P'man, I take it you lost the 'discussion' about the musket!
Cave! Caveat emptor! I think Mike's a-trying to sell you something beautifully expensive! Divorce is expensive too - but old muskets sometimes fall from their tripods and go off accidentally if you inadvertently leave them loaded with a trip-wire attached?

PS. if Mike sells you something expensive there will usually be a good margin left for your profit when you sell it on. Safest way forward is to buy your wife a pretty gun from Mike!

Unknown said...

Take no notice of my young brother P.Man. I'm not trying to sell you anything (if I were you'd be signing the cheque by now)
On the other hand - from the note on which you end your comment - I think I'd strongly recommend that you do buy Caz flowers fairly soon.
Warm regards to you both - Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. The poet Scott :-
Oh, Woman, in our hours of ease,
uncertain, coy, and hard to please.
When pain and anguish wring the brow,
The ministering angel, thou.

Heartfelt last line is by Michael :-Thank God, the ministering angel thou. Ann is a nurse, and it's come in very handy at times over the years.

Crowbard said...

Your right Mike, Ann's ministering skills have been a blessing - but rarely for more than 365 days each year!(Leap-years for instance)... er... unless you count in her efforts on the other five children as well...
Lordy, we blokes have so much to be grateful for!

Nea said...

Now canibalising weapons doesn't awaken questions with me, nor does the ministering angel, I might question the femine preference for over decorative muff pistols, but on a more serious note: how can you have a "Lenten meal"???

W.V. = plumpla, which is the way we shall all go if we carry on indulging in Lenten meals

Unknown said...

Hi Nea. Well our Church has a discussion group monthly, at which we have a shared meal. Everyone takes along a dish of some sort; there is never any collusion, but every month we enjoy a generous and well balanced meal. During Lent we meet weekly, and have a lighter meal (finger food is specified), but I must say the 'Lenten meal' is a very varied and nutricious one. During the meal itself a great deal of Church and parish business is discussed and settled. It has become a good, useful, and indeed sociable event.
Love, Pa.