Tuesday 24 February 2009

Shrove Tuesday.

 

This morning we motored across to Bury St. Edmund's Hospital, where my new hearing aid was waiting to be fitted into my right ear. I wasn't expecting much in the way of improvement as I was fairly convinced that I was stone deaf in that ear, but the young lady in charge was convinced that there was 'some residual hearing there' and, blow me, she was right. The hearing is very 'metalic' and muffled in that ear, but the new aid is supposed to work in conjunction with the slightly better ear, and I do think that I really can hear rather better with the new aid in situ, and 'every little helps'.
We went for lunch (as per usual) at the refectory. We both had venison - our waitress told me it was from the Ixworth Estate- and very good it was, too. Ann had cherry pie and custard for pudding, and I had toffee apple ice cream -recommended by the same waitress, and not bad at all.We came home via Long Melford, and stopped off for coffee at the Bull.
This evening (it being Shrove Tuesday) we had pancakes. I made the first two for Ann. As we judged there was enough batter to make four pancakes, we changed places and Ann made the next two for me. We then found there was enough batter for a fifth pancake, which we shared. My Norfolk grandfather (though not generally a man to spoil himself foodwise) always insisted that the best way of serving pancakes was to have the pancakes flat on a hot plate, spread the pancakes with muscavado sugar, sprinkle it with lemon juice, roll the pancake up, sprinkle a little caster sugar on top, then eat it with a knife and fork. I have tried pancakes and crepes in many different guises since and have never come across a better method! Yesterday was our forty sixth wedding anniversary, but we've celebrated today, and I'm now going to go upstairs and pour us both a sloe gin to round off our celebration.
Goodnight All. God bless you.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Nea said...

Are you sure that's what the waitress said? Ixworth Estate?
Sure it wasn't:
-It were in such a state when we picked it up off side of road ;)

Crowbard said...

Many congratulations on your wedding anniversary; at Littleport as I recall wasn't it? Bitter weather too! Dashed fine gel your Annie looked - hasn't changed a bit bless her. It was lovely to see you both in fine fettle over the weekend and most kind of you to make the effort of the journey. Jude and I did so enjoy your company. Thank you too for the abundance of flowers, wine and food which you brought with you.

Unknown said...

'Ah, bitter chill it was'. It was, as you say, at Littleport, and you were best man. Maggie was bridesmaid.
Thank you. We too, thoroughly enjoyed our weekend. It was a lovely break. Much love, Mike and Ann.

Maggie said...

I remember it well,freezing cold, snow on the ground. I wore a yellow dress made by the bride and a matching head-dress, which believe or not I still have!

Unknown said...

Hi, Maggie. Yes, Ann still has her wedding dress, and I still have the suit I wore, although like most things that hang in the wardrobe for a while, it has shrunk. Good to see you both the othr day.
Love, Mike and Ann.

The Preacherman said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

We've made it to 22. Caz is a very determined lady ;-)

Unknown said...

46 years, eh, you must have been mere teenagers. I can't think of a more civilised way of celebrating than pancakes & sloe gin. Our heartiest congratulations (we'd say cheers but Lenten vows are getting in the way, on the other hand they do help with the shrinking clothes problem).
Love,
Amy & Liam

Unknown said...

Hi P.man. Thank you. When you say Caz is a very determined lady, I think that might be tautology, as, in my experience ladies are, by their very nature, determined.
Warm regards to you both, Mike.

Unknown said...

Hi, Amy and Liam. Thank you for your comment. It was good to hear from you. In the end it wasn't sloe gin, Ann fancied a madeira, so we both had one.
Love, Mike and Ann.