Thursday 4 December 2008

Thursday.


Another try at a Vermeer type Dutch interior. The week has flown past. We're just back from choir practice. Monday and Tuesday hard at work in workshop getting ready for Long Melford fair. Wednesday - Long Melford fair, quite a busy and successful one. Wednesday evening a shared meal at Jackie's - most enjoyable, followed by a gallop through Joshua, Sheilah doing Biblical commentary, and me doing secular history. It always fascinates me that Old Testament stories can be set against bronze age artifacts and developements and both can be seen the more clearly for the comparison. Today John and Margaret Tinworth came to lunch. They are retired Antique dealers. This never seems right to me. Antique dealers should not retire. They should (as I have) simply become more in keeping with their stock. Very pleasant lunch; Ann gave them roast chicken with roast vegetables, followed by a choice of pears in red wine or trifle or both, followed by a cheeseboard and coffee. Very pleasant relaxed day. They pushed off a little after four pm. Choir practice this evening - sorry - I said that before. Pushing nine o'clock now and an early night begins to feel a nice idea. So- Goodnight All, God bless you.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Nea said...

I'm going to miss Christmas cake and pud this year. Tradition here is rice pudding... :(

Boo hoo...

Even if I like rice pudding, it just doesn't feel Christmassy, even when served with cinnamon.

If the bottom falls out of the antique trade, sounds like the Christmas cake business could support you.

Crowbard said...

Darling Nea,
Take a rice pudding and add pudding spice, breadcrumbs, sultanas, figs, cherries,small-beer,candied-peel,2 eggs,brandy and a few silver 3d joeys, stir together briskly wishing really hard for a Christmas pud and cook slowly, Remove from oven, top with a sprig of holly, pour over brandy and ignite. Sing 'Ye Boar's Head is as I understand ye noblest dyshe in alle ye Lande' while serving up this delicious seasonal rice pud.
Yuletide blessings,
GUC

Unknown said...

Dear Crowbard, whilst I agree in principle with your suggested improvements to a rice pudding, I must make one small, suggested, alteration based on years of experimentation by meself, Jonathan and Lasse (working as a team). It concerns bringing in the pudding aflame :- in a room ajacent to the dining room heat a large serving spoonful of SCOTCH (burns longer and brighter than brandy) over a candle. When the heated spirit bursts into flame pour it over the pudding (a depression in the top of the pudding helps here). Then (and this is where the team work comes in) one draws the curtains in the dining room, the second opens the dining room door, and the third marches in with the pudding still aflame. All must be done swiftly and in concert, but I will guarantee the end result - given practice.
Season's Greetings - Mike.

Nea said...

Dear GUC and Pa, tis most kind of you to make such an effort, but I fear my kitchen skills are not upto your magnificent suggestions, so I'll probably just drink the beer, the brandy and the whisky and then sulkily gobble up my rice pud... Poor Lasse doesn't even like rice pudding, he'll just have to make do with the lutfisk ... a sort of fish flavoured rice pudding (BLAHHHH)

Crowbard said...

Dearling Nea (short for dear darling NorthEastAngle {Don't abbreviations take such a lot of time to explain?}) I am amazed at your phenomenal propensity for sulking - after beer whisky and brandy I usually forget how to sulk and leap about merrily (until I remember how to fall down!).
Did you take the reflexology course in sulking or was it the one by the Flaming New-age Grand Ninja Sensai-Sulk Master? I found the reflexology course less demanding in terms of energy but I keep forgetting which bit of which foot produces the most devastatingly inharmonious sulks!
There's something fishy about your rice pud recipe too!
LuvGUC