Sunday 14 December 2008

Sunday.


This morning hit the road early (8.45 am) and drove to London. Got to youngest daughter Lizzie's house (just off Chiswick High Street at 11.15 am. Photo shows (left to right, Beth, 14, Lizzie (it would be ungallant to tell you her age, but traditionally life should now begin for her) and Matthew, 15. The character in front of them is Brian. Partook of spot of lunch, then Matthew and I went round to view South Kensington Christie's Arms and Armour sale. Not much there for me. About five possibles, but will have to go back on day of sale, I think, to bid (and also to collect three lots bought at Thomas Delmar's over the blower last Wednesday). On tube back to Lizzie's sat next to Chelsea pensioner in full uniform. He wore four campaign medals - all showing head of our present Queen. Then I thought that she has been reigning for the past fifty six years, and said pensioner is probably only a few years older than I am, so it is perfectly possible to have joined the army, grown grey in Her Majesty's service, retired and become a Chelsea pensioner, all in the last fifty or so years. Had early supper with Liz and family - chicken breasts in a sort of ham wrapping, like Parma ham but not - Serrana ham, I think Lizzie said it was - new one on me but very pleasant, followed by an apple crumble that Ann had brought with us - very pleasant meal. Home by about 8.15 - now about twenty past nine, and Ann's just gone up the wooden hill, so I must join her. Goodnight all.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: