Wednesday 22 October 2008

Wednesday.


Suffolk pub. Suffolk autumn gateway (can't remember where I took this one, but it's somewhere in Suffolk, not far from here).
Just been out looking for sloes. At this time of year we usually pick between five an seven pounds of sloes, to make sloe gin. We usually bottle the stuff the following June. We make it in half bottles, so that we can distribute some of it around the more discriminating family and friends. I'm afraid they are going to be disappointed next June, as we saw about three sloes - all rather wrinkled specimens. Not altogether surprised as there were three late frosts this last spring, and people we know who grow plums say there was a very thin crop; and, I'm afraid, no sloes. Must go and do some work. We're getting ready for what I hope will be a busy weekend. Will write/blog some more after it. Cheers All.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike
I think I may have some sloes for you - emailing pics for your confirmation.

Unknown said...

Hi Carl. Pictures received and am sure they are sloes. Many thanks. It's nice to think there will now be a 2008 vintage of sloe gin. Cheers, Mike.