Sunday 8 June 2008

Sunday.

 

Your blogger. Somewhere in deepest Suffolk. About a year ago. Had a weird experience yesterday. Went to look at a clock rope on a thirty hour long case clock. Last time I saw it the owner had repaired- well tidied up the splice on the rope and was a bit concerned about it. I examine the splice, tried it, and it was very strong - quite up to the job and good for a year or two yet. David 'phoned me a day or so ago to say that the rope had broken !!!! Went over yesterday morning and examined the broken rope. Found the splice still in good order and the rope broken about half way round opposite the splice. Rope on either side of the break was totally rotten - could pull it apart like cotton wool for about three inches either side of the break. I've never seen clock rope rot before. No damage to clock fortunately, and I had a rope of the right size handy, so reroped the clock in half an hour and it is now ticking away again happily. We lives and we learns. Next time I'm asked to look at a clock rope I won't just look at the splice, but at the length of the rope besides. Going to listen to the Boxford Silver Band playing in the Deanery Gardens now. More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: