Friday 4 April 2008

Friday.

Here is another photo (taken this morning) of a primula I mentioned earlier, 25th March to be exact (a drumhead primula according to a comment by Crowbard). It is doing nicely considering it gets no direct sunlight in it's shady corner of the garden. Perhaps Crowbard could confirm his identification of it ? Ann has gone off to help at the luncheon club for the elderly, as she does every month, which rolls round with frightening frequency. That looks odd. I suppose it would be even more frightening if the months ceased to roll round, but I meant that it is frightening just how quickly they do roll round. I have been pottering this morning, with little to show for it. I really must get stuck into some work now, and make a winding key I've been putting off. More later perhaps.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Hello Both, I have some of these in my garden as well. They are on a north facing border so maybe they like shady areas. My neighbour assures me they are called 'Pom-Pom' primulas, although this may be a local name. The gardens are looking nice now and its lovely to be coming home from work in the daylight so I am not just tied to the weekends to see how things are growing!Love to you both, Maggie

Crowbard said...

Hi,
I can fully understand the 'Pom-pom' name and I can confirm my memory had infact been overtaken by my forgetory. The name I intended to recall (which may also be a regional pet-name) was in fact 'drum-stick' primula, which I can also confirm is what you display in your photograph.
Probably both of you had them from Jude's garden at some time or other and they originated from the late Mrs Annie Hopley of Markfield.

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie, Hi Carl, I think you're probably right about the primula's origin - i.e. Judy's garden. Drum stick primula sounds a better name than drum head primula although when the first flower was half open it did have a sort of flat cylindrical 'drum' shape. But I do think Maggie's local name 'pom pom primulas' is easily the best and most descriptive. Thanks for your help, both of you. Much love, Mike.