Sunday 17 February 2008

Sunday.

When John and Ann C.T. visited us last Thursday they very kindly bought Ann this bunch of roses. Yesterday (Saturday) had choir practice in the morning - went well. Ann couldn't get to practice - prior engagement- manning Love is.... exhibish in U.R.C. Joyce Wells, who'd also been helping, came home with Ann, had a bite of lunch with us (soup and sandwich, etc.) then we all went off to scrabble club, Joyce riding her electric tricycle. Three good games. Home for our meal (just Ann and I this time). Very good beef casserole (second day) and cabbage. In the evening we went out to a concert - mainly choral- lovely stuff (which of course means music we are fond of anyway, but it was well sung. Baritone soloist sung the Hippopotamus song, and we all joined in the chorus - great fun). This afternoon we went to a Churches Together service - Grand Finale of Love is.... do. I said a day or so ago that the senior married couple in town arecoming up to their 69th anniversary. We were misinformed. They were married in 1938 and are coming up to their 70th !!!!! Lovely old couple. They toddled down the aisle together and cut the 'wedding' cake, the one illustrated about about a fortnight ago. Afterwards in the Church Room the senior wife was looking at the refreshment table holding a couple of plates for herself and husband. "It's a job to choose" she said to me "what sort do you think all these cakes are ?" "Well, I only know about those," I said. "Those are apricot flapjacks. I know they're good, because my wife made them."
"I'll take two of those, then. We both like apricot, and I'm a great believer in personal recommendation." Needless to say, they thoroughly enjoyed them. I told the old gentleman we had 45 years of marriage in. "Ah, newlyweds." he chuckled. You don't hear many real chuckles, but he could after seventy years of marriage !!! Ann's just called out that a cup of tea is available. More blog later.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: