Tuesday 1 January 2008

Tuesday.

Yesterday, New year's eve, the six of us motored over to March to celebrate granddaughter Laura's eighteenth birthday. As our car, a Honda Jazz can only legally hold five persons, Ruth and Lassa hired a bran new Vauxhall Vectra, and we went in two cars. Kerry had fires in the garden; she'd originally planned a barbecue, but there were problems, so she cooked the meat indoors. There was a glorious spread and about thirty guests. Then Lizzy, her partner Danny, and Lizzie's three youngsters turned up, and we had fireworks and sparklers. In the end there must have been nearer forty people at the party. Ann and I hit the road a little after eight p.m. and were in bed just after ten. We didn't stay awake to see the new year in, I'm afraid. Today, New year's day, we all went and had lunch with Brenda and Warren. When Brenda 'phoned to invite us Ann asked if there was anything we could take, and Brenda admitted she was out of bread. That was alright as Ann had a loaf baking in the oven that was nearly done, so we took that and a bottle of wine. It was good to see them and we had a lovely cold lunch, after which I had to make my excuses and come home ahead of the rest, as I had a lot to get ready for tomorrow (Long Melford). As we've got an early start in the morning, I'm going to knock off and get an early night. Goodnight All.

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

Intrigued by your subtle hint - "There were problems" -What sort?
weebly weather, noxious neighbours, officious officials, vegan terrorists, Barbiephobia outbreaks........ provokes the curiosity excessively.
Love and New Year Blessings
C'n'J

Unknown said...

Well really, Crowbards, when a lady informs me that she had problems with her barbecue I hardly like to enquire further. Ladies, as no doubt you are aware, are not as technically minded as we chaps (that is why we shut and open car doors for them). When informed that a woman is having problems of a mechanical nature, the correct procedure is to murmur sympathetically 'Yes, yes, happens to the best of us.' and then tactfully change the subject. Sometimes a pat on the hand can be given, but not in these days as a pat can smack of paternalism. Not that I ever felt particularly paternal towards any woman whose hand I was patting at the time. Hope this helps with regard to you query, Regards, Mike

Unknown said...

P.S. Should any of my readers be of the feminist persuasion, I am of course, being ironic in my previous comment, and not to be took serious, ever so respectfully yours, Mike.