Saturday 3 November 2007

Saturday.

Got home from oldest daughter's about noon today, where we have been babysitting their four youngsters, Sarah having been in for surgery. We went there on Tuesday last. We both thoroughly enjoyed it but obviously came home a little fatigued. I've been playing nine mens' morris most evenings with the grandchildren and really having to exert meself to win about one game in three. On Wednesday evening (31st October- Halloween) lots of groups of children came 'trick or treating'. All were known to the grandchildren, and most were accompanied by their parents. All of them were dressed as witches or strange creatures of the night. One young gentleman (dressed- very appropriately as it turned out- as a little devil) after I'd payed tribute, and very possibly being misled by my whiskers, asked me confidentially if I was dressed as Albert Einstein. "No," I said "This is really me," and tugged at my beard to prove it. I realised almost immediately that what I aught to have replied was "No, I really am Albert Einstein." I don't think he'd have known. All the grandchildren burst into peals of hysterical laughter and galloped off to tell their father and Granny about this (in their view) incredibly funny and totally understandable case of mistaken identity. I spent the rest of Halloween having to speak in a German accent for their amusement. ( Havink in a Cherman accent for zeir amusment to shpik)., and being addressed a Herr Einstein. Children !!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost tempts one to shave. In the daytime we combed the very few remaining antique shops, but to very little effect, only two items. Still, got loads of work to be getting on with between now and Christmas. and one major job probably just after Christmas. This afternoon to scrabble club at U.R.C. Room, where three excellent games were played (lost first one- won next two). Going to knock off now and clean black shoes ready for Gran's ninety ninth birthday party tomorrow. Gran=mother -in -law.Goodnight all.

2 comments:

Nea said...

Ich liebe Ihren Bart!
Schlaf fest und
Gute Nacht.
Ihren Fifi!
xxxx
Babel Fish Rule;)

Unknown said...

Who is this Bart feller ? Someone I should know about ? And please don't sign your epistles Fifi, daughter. It will worry your mother. Babel fish don't rule in this household, I'm afraid. Do you think I would (in my role as Herr Einstein) be in a bad Cherman accent shpikking if I could ze gutt German language be shpikkink ????? Much love, your confused ol' Pa.